Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgrade to El Capitan

I don't think I can upgrade. Firefox is quitting support for my iMac 10.6.8. To upgrade to El Capitan it said to upgrade to the latest version of snow leopard which I did long ago. It also said I need 2 GB of ram which I have but I installed more ram myself awhile back. Previously I only had 1 GB.

What can I do? Is there another browser that would support my iMac?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 5, 2016 8:34 AM

7 replies

May 5, 2016 10:08 AM in response to minicolleen

Look at SeaMonkey.

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

If you do not need the built-in mail client, you can set-up SeaMonkey with just the web browser, alone.

SeaMonkey is based on the same open sourced underpinnings as Mozilla FireFox and still uses user installed add-ons and is still being fully developed and supported for older OS X versions.

BTW,

Firefox updates will still be coming for OS X10.6-10.8 until late June, possiblly, early July, so theorecally, you could stay using that last version of Firefox, at least, until the end of the year, if you prefer.

Unless there is some major security issue that affects Mac OS X Snow Leopard through the older FF web browser or a Firefox security breach, then I may stick with the final version of Firefox for awhile to see how "things" pan out.

Good Luck!

May 5, 2016 10:08 AM in response to pokey b

Safari on !0.6 Snow Leopard has not had ANY type of updates for a very long time and has been a security risk for a very long time.

If any one is still running OS X 10.6-10.8, forget using Safari.

There will be no more app OR security updates for Safari under these older versions of OS X.

Both Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are following suit by ending support for these web browsers under the same older OS X versions, too!

upgrade to El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.