Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ineternet provider download speed vs Airport Extreme

Hi,

I've been experiencing slow download speeds on my Airport Extreme to ipad, iphones and imac.

I have an Optimum modem connected via Ethernet cable to an Airport Extreme 802.11 ac.

Ran the speed test app on my ipad II (within 5 feet of the Airport).

The results showed that download is only 2.12mbps and upload is 24.97mbps. I'm paying for the 50mbps service.

I tried the same using a new iPhone SE and timed download at 22.93 and upload at 23.95. A little better but still not good enough.

I contacted Optimum and they ran a couple of tests showing that my modem is online, signals are ideal, there is no loss of data to the modem and there are no outages in the area.

They recommended connecting a laptop directly to the router and bypassing the Airport. Will try this tonight to see the results.

Assuming the cable connection between modem and laptop is fast, what can I do to improve the WiFi speed?

Is there anything to set up in the Airport? I assume there will be some speed reduction between cabled devices and WiFi but not this bad. What is the maximum number of devices (iphones, ipads or imacs) that Airport can support? I have at least 6 or more devices sharing WiFi and wonder if that is the problem.

Thanks,

Bob

LED Cinema Display (27-inch), iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 5, 2016 8:58 AM

7 replies

May 5, 2016 9:25 AM in response to rnimeth

Please read Use Wireless Diagnostics to help you resolve Wi-Fi issues on your Mac - Apple Support.

What is the maximum number of devices (iphones, ipads or imacs) that Airport can support?

Apple recommends 50. I have had as many as three dozen sharing one Apple AirPort Base Station simultaneously with no perceptible performance degradation.

The bandwidth limiting factor will be the most restrictive of the following, in no particular order:

• your ISP
  • your local wireless environment, including competing wireless networks and other interference
  • the performance of the client device
  • network conditions beyond your control

Your AEBS will not limit bandwidth but if you have reason to believe it is, a "hard reset" is the only practicable troubleshooting step. On rare occasions an internal parameter becomes corrupted and that's the only way to fix it. By "rare" I mean "almost never" and the very last thing you should consider, after ruling out all other potential causes of poor wireless performance.

May 5, 2016 12:23 PM in response to rnimeth

They recommended connecting a laptop directly to the router and bypassing the Airport. Will try this tonight to see the results.

With your AirPort Extreme connected directly to Optimum gateway is the Extreme reconfigured as a bridge? That is, did you disable the Extreme's DHCP & NAT services using the AirPort Utility? If the gateway is providing these, then the Extreme should be in bridge mode ... and may be the reason for the poor data throughput performance.

May 5, 2016 1:04 PM in response to rnimeth

By default, it would not be.

To reconfigure the base station as a bridge, you would use the AirPort Utility, as follows:

• Run the AirPort Utility.
  • Select the AirPort Express, and then, select Edit.
  • For a Mac:
    • On the Network tab, change Router Mode to: Off (Bridge Mode)
    • Select Update and allow the base station to restart.
  • For an iOS device:
    • Select Advanced > DHCP and NAT
    • Change Router Mode to: Off (Bridge Mode)
    • Select Done and allow the base station to restart.

User uploaded file

Ineternet provider download speed vs Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.