Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

password popup- is it phishing?

I keep getting popups- after I switched to OS X El Capitan. They don't go away and are asking for my keychain password. Cancelling or clicking OK (without filling out the password, of course) does not make it go away. I am worried that it is not legitimate because the icons seem a little blurry and the ? button does not work. It looks like it is not Apple. Any suggestions?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 5, 2016 9:20 AM

8 replies

May 5, 2016 9:26 AM in response to Jjones1215

Can you post a screenshot?

The computer will ask for your Keychain password for an item if you have recently changed the password for something, such as email password or Apple ID password. If the password that Keychain Access is storing doesn't work, it will prompt you for the new updated password. I have seen this happen after an OS update so it may be legitimate, but if you think it looks blurry and unofficial, take a picture and post it here. May be easier to determine the validity with an image.

May 5, 2016 10:06 AM in response to Jjones1215

There could definitely be that many Keychains. You can open Keychain Access and see how many passwords your computer is storing.

Keychain Access will automatically store your passwords for certain applications, such as your email account passwords in Mail. It also store WIFI passwords and "tokens," which allow applications/processes to access or use your information. An example would be when an application says "xxxxx would like to use the information stored in your keychain, type your password to allow." When you give apps like Google Chrome "permission" to access your contacts, location, etc..., Keychain Access stores that permission.

If the computer is asking for all of these Keychain passwords, then there may have been an issue with updating the Keychains from whichever OS you were on before El Capitan. Similarly, if you changed your password for an Apple ID or Google account, you will need to type the password for that account on EACH permission you have given (location, contacts, etc...)

Hope that helps

May 5, 2016 10:50 AM in response to Jjones1215

It's not phishing.

Please back up all data before proceeding.

Launch the Keychain Access application in any one of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Select the login keychain from the list on the left side of the Keychain Access window. If your default keychain has a different name, select that.

If the lock icon in the top left corner of the window shows that the keychain is locked, click to unlock it. You'll be prompted for the keychain password, which is the same as your login password, unless you've changed it. If you have changed the keychain password, it will never unlock automatically unless you change its password back to the login password.

Right-click or control-click the login entry in the list. From the menu that pops up, select

Change Settings for Keychain "login"

In the sheet that opens, uncheck both boxes, if not already unchecked.

If you use iCloud Keychain, open the iCloud pane in System Preferences and uncheck the Keychain box. You'll be prompted to delete the local iCloud keychain. Confirm. Then re-check the box. Follow one of the procedures described in this support article to set up iCloud Keychain on an additional device.

password popup- is it phishing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.