Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All of my files are missing from desktop

hello,

well, i created a folder on my name. in which, i had more folders and i kept them on my dock and it was working perfectly fine from the dock but the other when i was trying to enter the folder it had a '?' sign on it. and after few seconds the folder was disappeared. i am really worried for my data, please help me out here.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on May 5, 2016 9:47 AM

4 replies

May 6, 2016 10:38 AM in response to Yash Mather's

Please do a backup before doing anything.

Long shot - might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist and com.apple.desktop.plist. Move the .plists to your desktop.

Re-launch Finder by restarting the computer and test. If it works okay, delete the plists from the desktop.

If the same, return the .plists to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

All of my files are missing from desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.