Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot remove "virus warning alert" in iPad Air iOS 9.3.1 Safari app

I have a "Virus Warning Alert" that I cannot permanently remove from my Safari app. It seems to hang out in the list at the bottom of the multi-tab screen that we access by clicking the multi-page icon at the top right of the Safari icon window.

I've tried every suggestion: removing website data, blocking cookies, turning off Javascript, resetting the screen, etc. I still get this when I open Safari (screenshot attached), and the two additional, seemingly legitimate, webpages on the list at the bottom also do not seem to want to leave. If I tap on them, they open a tab. They are not in my bookmarks, favorites, or history (which I also cleared). I'm at the end of my options it seems, and I'm hoping someone here can help. The only thing I haven't tried yet is deleting the app and re-installing it. Thanks for any advice!

User uploaded file

iPad Air, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 5, 2016 9:39 AM

5 replies

May 5, 2016 10:19 AM in response to dramaguru

The Safari App cannot be deleted since it is a native app. Try resetting Safari.

Close Safari completely from the app switcher window by double clicking the Home button and swiping up the Safari preview pane until it disappears from the screen. You may have to look for the Safari pane by scrawling to the left.

Then go to Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data.

Then do a forced restart. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears.

If the above does not help you may have to do a restore:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

May 5, 2016 10:22 AM in response to dramaguru

Based on your screenshot, the scam webpage is listed under your iCloud tabs, meaning that the webpage is open on another one of your devices - in this case, your MacBook Pro - and not your iPad. Check on your Mac and see if that webpage is open. If it's not, check in your history. If you cannot find it and don't mind turning off Safari for iCloud, then you can go to (on your iPad) Settings > iCloud > Safari OFF, and then it should stop showing up on your iPad.

cannot remove "virus warning alert" in iPad Air iOS 9.3.1 Safari app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.