Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect to Time Capsule Wireless network

I just switched ISPs (AT&T to Time Warner) and I am using my own cable modem (Arris SB6141). I connected by TC via the WAN and work laptop via the LAN connection, but now only my MacBook Air (running El Capitan) connects to the TC wifi network. Nothing else will connect; AppleTV (w/Siri), iPhone 6s (9.3.1). Is there a compatibility issue that could be cause the problem between the modem and TC? Or is there something I am supposed to change with the settings? It worked fine when I was using a 2WIRE router from AT&T U-Verse.

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac

Posted on May 5, 2016 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2016 11:10 AM

It sounds like the Router Mode of the AirPort Time Capsule is set to Off (Bridge Mode).....(which would have been correct for use with a 2Wire product).......but, it needs to be set to DHCP and NAT for use with a simple modem.

Power down the modem for at least 20 minutes....longer will not hurt

Power off the Time Capsule

Make sure that the Ethernet cable from the modem connects to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule

After the 20+ minute modem power down period has ended, power up the modem and let it run for 10 minutes

Then, power up the Time Capsule and let it run for 5 minutes

On your MacBook Air.......

Open AirPort Utility......(Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility)

Click on the picture of the Time Capsule

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Network tab at the top of the next window

Make sure that the setting for Router Mode = DHCP and NAT

Click Update at the lower right of the window and give the Time Capsule a full minute to restart

Check the network again and report on your results

Unfortunately the SB6141 and the Apple routers do not always get along that well together, so keep any eye out for issues

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2016 11:10 AM in response to pauljones09

It sounds like the Router Mode of the AirPort Time Capsule is set to Off (Bridge Mode).....(which would have been correct for use with a 2Wire product).......but, it needs to be set to DHCP and NAT for use with a simple modem.

Power down the modem for at least 20 minutes....longer will not hurt

Power off the Time Capsule

Make sure that the Ethernet cable from the modem connects to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule

After the 20+ minute modem power down period has ended, power up the modem and let it run for 10 minutes

Then, power up the Time Capsule and let it run for 5 minutes

On your MacBook Air.......

Open AirPort Utility......(Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility)

Click on the picture of the Time Capsule

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Network tab at the top of the next window

Make sure that the setting for Router Mode = DHCP and NAT

Click Update at the lower right of the window and give the Time Capsule a full minute to restart

Check the network again and report on your results

Unfortunately the SB6141 and the Apple routers do not always get along that well together, so keep any eye out for issues

Cannot connect to Time Capsule Wireless network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.