Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What causes an app or the iOS to become corrupted?

I have sometime seen, in answers here in the ASC, people suggest that a file or the iOS may have been corrupted and that is why an app or feature is behaving strangely. Frequently, uninstalling and reinstalling the app fixes the problem. Any idea what causes an app to get corrupted in the first place?

iPad Pro 9.7-inch WiFi, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 5, 2016 10:30 AM

3 replies

May 5, 2016 11:42 AM in response to TMHahn

It depends on what the app does -

1. Picture containing apps may duplicate the photos some of which may remain after other images are transferred

2. Same thing can happen with notes or email

For example my text tones mysteriously stopped - and I had to completely restore to get them working again on my phone

At times restoring the backup brings back the issue (typical example restrictions password) - this is where the conclusion is that something in the content is causing it - and a factory like install of the iOS downloaded fresh from Apple servers would be needed to workaround the issue

It is a little bit vague but also dependent on the issue at hand - so please feel free to ask for clarifications if you need them

Of course some of my esteemed colleagues on the board may also chime in with their perspectives

May 5, 2016 3:50 PM in response to TMHahn

The latter actually - I teach at the local university - I am so paranoid that I have 3 copies of my presentation always

On the Mac

On a flash drive

In the cloud

Just an offshoot of the kind of work I do for a living - I almost always tend to think in terms of backup or needed workarounds

So - in my humble opinion - it cannot be prevented - one just needs to anticipate and prepare

As project management teaches one -

There are known unknowns and then there are unknown unknowns - it is the latter that terrifies me metaphorically speaking

What causes an app or the iOS to become corrupted?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.