Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use my IPhone 4s internationally--specifically in Africa?

Can I use my IPhone 4S internationally---specifically in Africa?

iPhone 4S, iOS 4.3.2, Verizon is my carrier

Posted on May 5, 2016 9:49 AM

3 replies

May 5, 2016 9:56 AM in response to kalong2325

Depends on how you plan to use it exactly.

Phones can be used abroad in 1 of 2 ways.

1. Roaming: Roaming lets you use your phone with your own cellular carrier, by accessing a cellular carrier abroad that has a service relation with your carrier to offer their services to your carrier's clients. In this case you would contact your carrier and see what Roaming packages they offer, their cost, and if they support roaming in the countries you are visiting.

2. Local Sim Cards: If your iPhone is unlocked, and as such can take a sim card from any carrier, you can attempt to get a sim card from a local carrier in the country you'll be visiting and use that carrier while there. note that this approach will give you a local number for the country you are in. And you will not be able to use the number you currently are using until you put your original sim card back in the iPhone.

If your iPhone is unlocked by Verizon to be used with any GSM carrier abroad you can choose to use option number 2.

May 5, 2016 9:56 AM in response to kalong2325

As far as the cellular functions, you should check with Verizon. If it is compatible in Africa, you would also want to purchase an international plan for the time that you are over there... otherwise the data and cellular minutes will be quite expensive.

When you are over there, as long as you are on WiFi, everything should work just the way it does over here while you are on WiFi.

Can I use my IPhone 4s internationally--specifically in Africa?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.