Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound on bluetooth headset with calls.

Bluetooth headset has good connections to my 5s. I can listen to music on the bluetooth headset through the iPhone, but unable to use it for calls. I cannot hear the other side. They can't hear me either. Tried it with two different Bluetooth devices, a Jawbone and a Plantronics. Exactly same problem. Can listen to music, etc on the iPhone through the headsets, but I cannot hear calls nor can they hear me. For example,when I call my voicemail I can see from "audio" that the headset is connected to the call. But when the iPhone calls, I hear a quick succession of three beeps, two low and one higher one. Then nothing. With incoming calls, I hear the ring through the headset, but when I answer, nothing.

No problem with hearing through the iPhone or via speaker,only with the bluetooth headsets.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.3.1, null

Posted on May 5, 2016 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2016 12:53 PM

You are sure that the volume is turned up for both of the Bluetooth devices you indicate? Have you tried removing the devices from the phone, and resetting the devices themselves and attempting to connect them again? The only other thing that I have read about that could cause an issue similar to this is if you go to Settings>General>Accessibility>Assistive Touch. Turn it on, which will put a software button on the screen. Tap that button and select Device. On the screen that comes up, tap on Mute. The icon should change and the word Unmute should appear. Tap anywhere on your screen except where the menu is showing, then turn off Assistive Touch. Test your audio.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2016 12:53 PM in response to dgkirch

You are sure that the volume is turned up for both of the Bluetooth devices you indicate? Have you tried removing the devices from the phone, and resetting the devices themselves and attempting to connect them again? The only other thing that I have read about that could cause an issue similar to this is if you go to Settings>General>Accessibility>Assistive Touch. Turn it on, which will put a software button on the screen. Tap that button and select Device. On the screen that comes up, tap on Mute. The icon should change and the word Unmute should appear. Tap anywhere on your screen except where the menu is showing, then turn off Assistive Touch. Test your audio.

May 5, 2016 1:14 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I don't think the Bluetooth devices are the problem for two reasons:

1. They both are having the same problems, and both worked fine with my previous iPhone 4s.

2. I have Pandora on my current 5s, and I hear the music fine through both Bluetooth devices.

When I tapped on Mute and turned off Assistive Touch, I tested. Same problem with calls and then I could not hear music on Pandora either. So,I went back and switched the icon to Mute. I can hear Pandora music again.

Yes, I've done a "Forget This Device" and then re-paired. Same problem.

May 23, 2017 10:42 PM in response to dgkirch

I faced the same problem and took me while to figure out how to fix it. Go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings. Your iOS device will reboot. Once it starts up, try pairing to the device again. Keep in mind that all your Wi-Fi settings will also be cleared, so you might have to rejoin Wi-Fi networks, and configure VPN all over again.

May 5, 2016 1:18 PM in response to dgkirch

Alright, then the last step would be to restore the device. Make a backup, then restore the device to factory. Use iTunes on your Mac or PC to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

After you have restored the device to factory, do not add any additional content, such as apps, email, etc.. Take one of the headsets and place it in discovery/pairing mode. Pair to the iPhone and test. If it will not work under those conditions, then you need to make an appointment at the Genius Bar of the nearest Apple Store or Authorized Apple Service provider and have the hardware checked.

No sound on bluetooth headset with calls.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.