Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to download DVDs, which I made from home movies on analog tape, to my IMAC for editing and archival purposes. None of the files are protected. how can I accomplish this?

I have created over 75 DVDs by copying 30 years of personally owned and created analog video tapes which were recorded on my camcorder. I now want to download those DVDs to my MAC for the purposes of editing and archiving the files. I can't figure out how best to accomplish this?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 5, 2016 12:11 PM

7 replies

May 5, 2016 2:38 PM in response to Old Toad

If they are home movie DVDs that are unprotected you do not need to "rip" them, simply copy the files across to your computer. You will then want to use a special application such as Handbrake to re-encode them to a smaller and more convenient format, though a media player such as VLC can play the DVD format files resident on your computer as they are (drag the video_TS folder to VLC).

I want to download DVDs, which I made from home movies on analog tape, to my IMAC for editing and archival purposes. None of the files are protected. how can I accomplish this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.