Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I locate and manage my files? I downloaded a file manager app, but I cannot figure out how to get my pad,s files to show up.

I have an OS9 -9.3.1- iPad, 64g mem

I'm used to being able to locate my files, in order use or change them.

However, I cannot seem to do that, in iPad.

I downloaded some file manager apps, thinking that one of them would

help me locate and manage my files, but none of them can locate files on my iPad.

I have Kindle and PDFs files, for example- but I cannot locate them- only bring them up in certain readers.

However- ...Can I use a file manager app to show me my files, and permit me to use them Or change them?

DO I need to do all that on a laptop, and download to my pad?

...or can I get an app to list my files for me?

iPad Air, iOS 9.3.1, 64g mem

Posted on May 5, 2016 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2016 12:50 PM

Apple has blocked "file manager apps" from directly accessing the iOS file system beginning with iOS 8.3.

The only way that certain files can be accessed through these types of apps is if the file(s) are marked for File Sharing (accessed through iTunes on Mac/PC) by the app developer. So in reality, you don't need a "file manager app" since File Sharing in iTunes already allows you to access the file(s) directly through iTunes in the first place.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2016 12:50 PM in response to D4621

Apple has blocked "file manager apps" from directly accessing the iOS file system beginning with iOS 8.3.

The only way that certain files can be accessed through these types of apps is if the file(s) are marked for File Sharing (accessed through iTunes on Mac/PC) by the app developer. So in reality, you don't need a "file manager app" since File Sharing in iTunes already allows you to access the file(s) directly through iTunes in the first place.

May 5, 2016 12:43 PM in response to D4621

I used "Files United" on my iPad and iPhone for a while. Documents like PDFs and .doc files have to be imported into Files United, but once they're in there, you can look at them whenever you want.

I stopped using this app when iCloud Drive came along.

I don't know how to locate files once they're on your device if they're already there, unfortunately. But you might consider either of these apps to organize your files in the future.

How do I locate and manage my files? I downloaded a file manager app, but I cannot figure out how to get my pad,s files to show up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.