Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Server for Mavericks will it work on El Capitan?

Hi, I am not sure if this is the right place to ask, so forgive me if it is not.

Late last year I have bought and installed OS X Server for Mavericks. Then the hard disk crashed. My local Apple store replaced the hard disk, but then I got Yosemite on it even though I had explicitly asked for Mavericks! First thing I did was to upgrade to El Capitan. My question now is: Can I re-download OS X Server (which I bought for Mavericks) and install it on El Capitan? And would it work?

Thanks for any advice.

Jurgen

Posted on May 5, 2016 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2016 6:46 AM

Hi Jurgen

The short answer is no! But, that is not the full answer.

If you download Server now from the App Store, it will download Server 5.xx for El Capitan. The upgrade for Server was free, like the upgrade for El Capitan. Thus, if it is available on the App Store for your Apple ID you will have the correct version.

Leo

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2016 6:46 AM in response to turtle48

Hi Jurgen

The short answer is no! But, that is not the full answer.

If you download Server now from the App Store, it will download Server 5.xx for El Capitan. The upgrade for Server was free, like the upgrade for El Capitan. Thus, if it is available on the App Store for your Apple ID you will have the correct version.

Leo

May 6, 2016 1:40 AM in response to turtle48

Jurgen,

OS X Server: Upgrade and migration from Mavericks or Mountain Lion - Apple Support

About OS X Server 5.0.15 - Apple Support

Gives some more information about the subject. You will notice that the update from Server 4 to Server 5 was free. Also that Server 5 is now said to be OS independent. It still seem to develop and we see for instance support now for two factor verification in the Xcode service and a better MDM in Profile Manager. Apple has clearly chosen to continue on this path of development.

HTH

Have fun with your Mac

Leo

May 6, 2016 3:18 AM in response to turtle48

Mavericks required Server.app version 3.x. Yosemite initially required Server.app 4.x but was able to upgrade to and run Server.app 5.x and this upgrade from 4.x to 5.x was free of charge. El Capitan requires Server.app 5.x

The upgrade from Server.app 3.x (Mavericks) to Server.app 4.x (Yosemite) was not free of charge.

Therefore either you will need to reinstall Mavericks and then re-download and reinstall Server.app 3.x or you will need to buy Server.app 5.x.

Here are the instructions on how to re-download Server.app for Mavericks. How to reinstall OS X Server for Mountain Lion or Mavericks from the Mac App Store - Apple Support

If you previously at some point downloaded Mavericks it should be in your previous purchases history.

OS X Server for Mavericks will it work on El Capitan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.