Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

switch from 2 step verification to 2 factor authentication

Does anyone know how to convert an Apple ID account from using the 2-step verification system to the newer 2FA system?

Is it as simple as turning the one off and turning the other on? I don't want to just try that for fear of breaking something.

Apologies if this is answered I searched but could not find anything.

Thanks!

Posted on May 5, 2016 12:42 PM

5 replies

May 7, 2016 9:27 AM in response to scatteredbrain

I've used both and don't see any difference in security but the newer 2 Factor Authentication does seem a bit buggy.

With the older 2 Step Verification you choose (from the device where you are wanting to gain access) each time where to send the code. 2FA however automatically sends a prompt asking whether to allow access to all trusted devices -- except that it sometimes doesn't send to all of them and I need to have it resend to get it to go to the trusted device that I have available.

Also, when I say that it sends to all devices, that literally means all, including the device that is prompting for the code -- and that is confusing at first. If you try to "allow" from the same device that is trying to gain access (and that would be a huge security issue if it worked as it would mean you don't need a second device) it does display a code on that device but entering the code won't actually give access.

All in all, it does work but it also seems to be a bit of a work in progress.

switch from 2 step verification to 2 factor authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.