Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble with createinstallmedia when making bootable USB to install Mavericks

I am have been trying to make a bootable USB to install Mavericks on a external partition (so I can continue to use iDVD 😝)

I have downloaded Maverick install app from App Store and I followed Apple's instructions from here Create a bootable installer for OS X - Apple Support

The Install OS x Mavericks drive appears when I hold down Option when booting, but then just hangs at a screen a circle with a line through its center (the international symbol for "No!")

I am using OS X El Capitan on a Mac Mini (late 2012)

Could anyone advise on what I am doing wrong?

Posted on May 5, 2016 12:58 PM

7 replies

May 6, 2016 12:08 PM in response to bdcs64

I meant, what folders and such do you see on the thumb drive, but that is probably a moot issue. That command above creates a install media thumb drive, which will install Maverick onto your Mac system, when you boot from it.. I am thinking that you want to create a thumb drive that you can boot and work off of, not install Maverick. I do have bootable non-installer thumb drives for the last three versions. Right off I am not able to find my directions for how I did this, but it looks like Eric Root (above) has a link to a utility that will create a stand-alone bootable thumb drive, which i suspect is what you want. I can go look in my other work location for the instructions if you prefer, but you might try Eric's solution first.

Trouble with createinstallmedia when making bootable USB to install Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.