Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Alert when adding duplicate songs to playlist?

I build my playlists over time based on music I hear - either through my own music, or songs I hear while listening to playlists or radio on Apple music. Occassionally I go in to review my playlist and find songs that are duplicates of each other. Is there a setting for iTunes or Apple Music to alert me when I'm attempting to do that. I believe Spotify had such a feature.

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), 4 GHz i7 64 GB Ram Radeon 395X

Posted on May 5, 2016 1:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2017 6:01 AM

Agreed. Apple, please, please, please address this in next update. Probably one of, if not THE biggest down side of the app. I use Apple Music, over say, Spotify because of the neat cross platform functionality for all of my Apple products (have for some time now). However, I've recently found myself seriously considering deleting my apple music and using Spotify in it's place, regardless of Apple's cross platform benefits.

As it stands, Spotify is a far superior music app to Apple music, but it doesn't have to be that way (and shouldn't) - there are many small oversights that I feel are the cause for this. Some very basic features could add to the Apple music experience, and help you retain at least one more customer - such as adding a 'sort' function to the playlist, and also a notification for duplications of any song that may be added to a playlist, would be a good start.

I'll refrain from getting into the 'why,' but take it from a self-proclaimed music guy. The lack of these two very basic features is detrimental to Apple Music's listening and curating experience, for one user at least..

Thanks.

PS. This is my first message on these boards - I apologize in advance for the rant, but I'm more surprised it hasn't been addressed already..

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2017 6:01 AM in response to AOG91

Agreed. Apple, please, please, please address this in next update. Probably one of, if not THE biggest down side of the app. I use Apple Music, over say, Spotify because of the neat cross platform functionality for all of my Apple products (have for some time now). However, I've recently found myself seriously considering deleting my apple music and using Spotify in it's place, regardless of Apple's cross platform benefits.

As it stands, Spotify is a far superior music app to Apple music, but it doesn't have to be that way (and shouldn't) - there are many small oversights that I feel are the cause for this. Some very basic features could add to the Apple music experience, and help you retain at least one more customer - such as adding a 'sort' function to the playlist, and also a notification for duplications of any song that may be added to a playlist, would be a good start.

I'll refrain from getting into the 'why,' but take it from a self-proclaimed music guy. The lack of these two very basic features is detrimental to Apple Music's listening and curating experience, for one user at least..

Thanks.

PS. This is my first message on these boards - I apologize in advance for the rant, but I'm more surprised it hasn't been addressed already..

Jul 31, 2017 1:41 AM in response to DubyaLove904

I think it is an argument about app cluttering or not. I'm fiercely against to many menus, buttons and options.

The cross-platform benefits of Apple leaves you the ability to clean or de-duplicate your playlists in iTunes easily. And do other "pro" managing of your music.

If you added a song twice in a playlist, it already shows you like that number VERY much but don't hear it often enough in your playlist. The shuffle functionality in Apple music will already prevent the song repeating itself to often so no harm in adding another version, right?

Sorting options in a 4 to 5 inch apps can be distracting. There are lots of other stuff to rant about instead like having songs automatically removed from your playlists that are no longer in the Apple music library. That's a no brainer.

Alert when adding duplicate songs to playlist?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.