Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it curtains???

As discussed on a previous thread, there was a problem with this system locking. It was eliminated once Internet Plug-Ins were not allowed. However, a much ore serious technical problem developed.

While using the system, the screen went black. There were a series of clicks and then nothing. The system was powered down, the elec cord unplugged and plugged, and then powered up.

The system powered up as normal, including opening all login items. It was possible to open Console and look at a couple of logs before the screen went black. No clicks this times. Powered down.

I repeated the steps to power up as outlined above, only this time the system didn’t get as far in the start-up before going dark and unresponsive.

Each successive time from thereon the system did less and less. Eventually, the only thing it did was to repeat the “chime” sound with no video whatsoever.

Given the age of this system, I’m wondering what the problem might be so that I might determine whether it would worth pursuing.

Thank you,

VALman

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 5, 2016 2:39 PM

14 replies

May 5, 2016 2:42 PM in response to VALman

Don't know how to edit original comment. The system is question is:

Info: iMAc (20-inch, easy 2008), 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB. 320GB SATA Disk with two partitions" Mac HD and Bootcamp (this space is unused). Free space is roughly 120 GB.

Software: OSX El Capitan 10.11.4, Safari 9.1 (the only Extension is DuckDuckGo; Plug-ins are for Adobe Acrobat, iPhoto Photocast, and Shockwave Flash), Firefox 45.0.1 (no Extensions; Plug-ins for Adobe Acrobat, Shockwave Flash, and OpenH264 Video Codec 1.5.3), Opera 36.0.2130.46, Flash Player NPAPI Plug-in Ver 21.0.0.197 and PPAPI Plug-in Ver 21.0.0.197, Adobe Reader 11.0.15.

Thank you,

VALman

May 5, 2016 2:55 PM in response to stevejobsfan0123

stevejobsfan0123,

The chimes are successive with but maybe a second between them. When I left off the shift key, they continued until I pressed the power button. Even then, it continued for several more chimes.

Since there is no Apple Store close by, I took it to Best Buy. However, they told me that Apple considers the system "vintage" and could do nothing for the system. So, as I indicated, I attempting to determine what to do.

Thank you,

VALman

May 7, 2016 8:55 AM in response to stevejobsfan0123

stevejobsfan0123,

Good day to you. Using the link you provided, tests were performed with the following results.

Ring tone: On start-up, there is a single ring-tone that repeats at approximately 3 sec intervals. Possibly, this would continue indefinitely. About 1 1/2 mins is all that I’ve put to the test before powering off.

Start-up attempts: Before each attempt the system was unplugged for at least 10 secs. After plugging in the cord, there was at least a 5 sec delay before powering up. All of the start-up attempts produced the same result.

That is, there would be a sound suggestive of the kind made when an operation is attempted with the CD/DVD drive. Then, the ring tone would sound and continued as outlined above. There was no indication of anything else. Moreover, there is a change in the performance of the system when attempting to power down.

Normally, depressing the power key would result in the system powering off within a sec or two. Now, even after depressing the key, it continues to sound the tone 2 or 3 times, meaning 7 - 10 secs before it powers down. Also, the Eject key and then another test with the F12 key were done in attempt to get the disc to eject. It wouldn’t.

Thank you for any review and consideration you might give this,

VALman

Is it curtains???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.