Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New email address for iCloud

My current email that I am using for iCloud will become invalid, that is will be terminated. I am concerned about my purchases (mostly for Kindle books). How do I transfer them to my new email/iCloud account?

Posted on May 5, 2016 1:19 PM

5 replies

May 5, 2016 11:37 PM in response to sonjafromljubljana

sonjafromljubljana wrote:

Hi, thanks for the reply 🙂 If the email account linked to iCloud becomes invalid, does this mean that my purchases will become unavailable or will they remain on my devices anyway? Tnx in advance.

You should change your ID to a new address: once you have done this everything will continue to work normally. However it's important that you follow the steps below:

1. Firstly, sign out of iCloud on all your devices: go to each of your devices and sign out in System Preferences (or Settings)>iCloud - 'Sign out' on a Mac, 'Delete this account' on an iOS device (this will not delete the account from the server). If you have 'Find My iPhone' etc enabled you will need to disable it first. Your synced data will disappear from your devices but will reappear when you sign back in.
  2. Create a new email address, for example at Yahoo or Gmail, or anywhere convenient (or you can use an existing address as long as it is not associated with an Apple ID).
  3. Go to http://appleid.apple.com and click 'Manage your Apple ID'. Sign in with the current ID.
  4. Where it says 'Apple ID and primary email address' and gives your current ID email address, click 'edit'.
  5. Enter your new address and click 'Save changes'
  6. Sign back into iCloud on all your devices with the new ID and password. Your synced data will reappear (give it time).

I reiterate - before you start, sign out of iCloud on all your devices. Failure to do this will lead you into difficulties.

May 6, 2016 3:26 AM in response to sonjafromljubljana

sonjafromljubljana wrote:

Hi, thanks for the reply 🙂 If the email account linked to iCloud becomes invalid, does this mean that my purchases will become unavailable or will they remain on my devices anyway? Tnx in advance.

If you do not change your Apple ID as suggested by Roger Wilmut1 and myself then your purchases will remain on the device but you will be unable to update them and you will likely have problems getting these purchases to a new device. There may also be the risk of Activation Lock if you ever need to restore.

New email address for iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.