Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I recently had a new hard drive installed in my 2008 iMac. I'm trying to re-install office and the computer doesn't recognize my password. I have tried all of the passwords I can think of, and nothing works and it won't let me continue

I recently had a new hard drive installed in my 2008 iMac desk top computer, because right now I cannot afford a new computer. I am now running OS X El Capitan 10.11.4 and my password no longer works so that I can reinstall microsoft office for Mac. I am trying to change my password, but it requires I enter the old password and it doesn't recognize the password. I have tried every password I use and nothing works. How can I change or get a new password?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), password not working

Posted on May 5, 2016 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2016 5:11 PM

Reset Password.

OS X 10.7 Lion,10.8 Mountain Lion,10.9 Yosemite, 10.10 Yosemite and 10.11 El Capitan

Shutdown the computer.

Start the computer,then press and hold down command and R keys to start into recovery partition.

When you see the Apple logo, release the keys.

Wait until OS X Utilities window shows up.

Move the mouse pointer to the menubar at the very top of the screen, click "Utilities” and then select "Terminal"

from the dropdown.

Terminal window will appear.

Type in resetpassword and press enter on the keyboard.

Reset Password Utility window will open.

Quit Terminal.

Select Macintosh HD, if not already.

Select the user account from the popup menu box under “Select user account”.

Enter a new password.

Re-enter the new password for the user.

Enter a hint.

Click the "Save" button.

Click  in the menubar and select Restart.

When Keychain dialog box appears, select “Create New Keychain”.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2016 5:11 PM in response to maryfromspring creek

Reset Password.

OS X 10.7 Lion,10.8 Mountain Lion,10.9 Yosemite, 10.10 Yosemite and 10.11 El Capitan

Shutdown the computer.

Start the computer,then press and hold down command and R keys to start into recovery partition.

When you see the Apple logo, release the keys.

Wait until OS X Utilities window shows up.

Move the mouse pointer to the menubar at the very top of the screen, click "Utilities” and then select "Terminal"

from the dropdown.

Terminal window will appear.

Type in resetpassword and press enter on the keyboard.

Reset Password Utility window will open.

Quit Terminal.

Select Macintosh HD, if not already.

Select the user account from the popup menu box under “Select user account”.

Enter a new password.

Re-enter the new password for the user.

Enter a hint.

Click the "Save" button.

Click  in the menubar and select Restart.

When Keychain dialog box appears, select “Create New Keychain”.

I recently had a new hard drive installed in my 2008 iMac. I'm trying to re-install office and the computer doesn't recognize my password. I have tried all of the passwords I can think of, and nothing works and it won't let me continue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.