Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2009 iMac has no hard drive showing after restore and crash

My 2009 iMac running 10.9.5 Mavericks locked up and I had to restore it from backup. After I restored it, it made 2 backups and then crashed. When I tried to restore it again there was no Hard Drive available. All I got when starting up was a blinking folder with a question mark. When I started up off a disk (10.6) there was no hard drive available. The system profiler showed no applications and no hard drive. Does anyone know how to ix this, or is it not fixable? Thanks, DJ

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on May 5, 2016 1:52 PM

12 replies

May 5, 2016 7:01 PM in response to LocoDJ

You're probably not going to like the answer but I believe your hard-drive is toast. If it's not complete toast yet, it's about to be. My iMac did the exact same thing. I got a WD external hard-drive and made a backup/bootable drive, also called a hackintosh. I was able to see both drives in Disk Utility. I then transferred all of my files from the dead iMac drive to the WD external hard-drive. I got an email almost immediately from Apple saying that the hard-drives were defective. A few weeks later, Apple replaced it for free. 27" iMac late 2009 model. Contact Apple and ask them if yours is a part of that recall.

May 6, 2016 9:51 AM in response to macjack

Here is what I got:

-bash-3.2# diskutil list

/dev/disk1

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: Apple_partition_scheme *7.8 GB disk1

1: Apple_partition_map 30.7 KB disk1s1

2: Apple_Driver_ATAPI 1.0 GB disk1s2

3: Apple_HFS Mac OS X Install DVD 6.7 GB disk1s3

/dev/disk2

0: untitled *524.3 KB disk2

/dev/disk3

0: untitled *524.3 KB disk3

/dev/disk4

0: untitled *524.3 KB disk4

/dev/disk5

0: untitled *524.3 KB disk5

/dev/disk6

0: untitled *524.3 KB disk6

/dev/disk7

0: untitled *1.0 MB disk7

-bash-3.2#

Not sure what to do with it. No matter what I try I can't get the HD to appear anywhere that I could select it.

Thanks again,

DJ

May 6, 2016 11:31 AM in response to macjack

That didn't work either. Also 'force mount' returns a not found error, so I just used 'mount'.

I have had several external drives and other computer's hooked up to this machine over the years, but nothing but a mouse and a keybo9ard are plugged into the iMac.

I'm guessing that the HD is toast or beyond repair. I will send a ticket to Apple.

Thanks again,

DJ

2009 iMac has no hard drive showing after restore and crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.