Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS upgrade for mid-2009 MacBook Pro

I work for a non-profit on a laptop donated to us by a local research lab. So the first thing to understand is that I have to find "the best way to make things work" even if it's not as advanced or high-powered as might be desirable in an ideal situation. That said:

I have been running OS 10.6.8 on a mid-2009 MacBookPro. As of now, the software companies are all pulling the software versions I can use on 10.6.8 so I have no choice but to upgrade my operating system.

My concern: Two years ago I updated a 2007 MacBookPro from 10.6.8 to 10.7 (Lion) and it died 3 weeks later. The tech at the Mac Genius Bar told me it was because the actual hardware -- the machine's hard drive -- was so old that the upgrade was too hard on it and burned it out. I understand that even if the hard drive doesn't burn out after an upgrade, the computer may run very slowly and for much the same reason (hardware stress). This would also be a problem.

Given all that, what is the best suggestion for the safest possible, workable OS upgrade I can put on my machine so I can stay in business? Can it likely handle 10.7, even though the hardware is nearly 7 years old? What about 10.8 or even 10.8.5?

I realize that the system specs say it can run even Yosemite. But I do not want to risk going that far, given my past disaster.

Thank you for any advice you can provide.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), mid-2009 machine

Posted on May 5, 2016 2:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2016 3:35 PM

You never indicated how much RAM that machine has -

You can still upgrade to Mountain Lion 10.8 - here

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6377Z/A/os-x-mountain-lion

There is a cost but I am sure if you call or otherwise contact Apple with your situation - you may get a redemption code - well no harm in trying

8 replies

May 5, 2016 4:01 PM in response to ManSinha

Thanks!

Let me be sure I haven't been dumb about the RAM number. You never know. I'm getting it from "Memory 8 GB". And then inside the specs, under memory slot, it says "BANK 0/DIMM0:" is 4 MB and "BANK 1/DIMM0:" is also 4 GB. So I added that up to 8. If that's incorrect, please tell me where to find the RAM spec in the "about this mac." I am not greatly tech-savvy.

Meanwhile, I will keep an eye on the forum to see if the others you mention chime in.

I *really* appreciate your help!! (And it's also helpful to learn that El Capitan is considered easier on a system than is Yosemite.) But more than anything, I appreciate your realizing why I'm being so cautious about what I do. Thanks again. :-)

May 5, 2016 4:14 PM in response to bordercolliedawn

A mid 2009 MBP should be able to run El Capitan with no difficulty with 8 GB RAM. The story that you got about the HDD being driven too hard by the OSX is a bit of an old wives tale.

What you should consider doing is partitioning the HDD and installing El Capitan on one volume and 'test drive' the new OSX (El Capitan) and see how it performs. If necessary, install a new HDD that can provide you with ample room for both OSX's. They now are available up to 2 TB in capacity and are not that expensive. This way you can run both the older applications that are supported by Snow Leopard plus the newer ones.

Installing Mt. Lion is being overly conservative and I see no benefit from doing so. Besides Mt. Lion costs $20 and El Capitan is free.

Ciao.

May 5, 2016 4:16 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Wow! I just learned a heck of a lot today! OK, if I may ask you one more question: The only software I use that is not by subscription is File Maker Pro. As long as I update my software subscriptions to more recent versions, and am willing to give up File Maker Pro if it no longer works, is there any other way that upgrading to El Captain would adversely impact being able to access my previous files?

May 5, 2016 4:32 PM in response to bordercolliedawn

I do not use nor am I familiar with FileMaker Pro, but if you run a dual OSX system as I suggested, you do not have to surrender any applications. If there is a newer version of FileMaker Pro compatible with El Capitan, than the issue becomes moot.

Upgrading will not have any affect on your files and you still will have access to them. The principle 'problem' will be that some applications will not be compatible with the newer OSX. This comprehensive user tip will have the details:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6271

Ciao.

OS upgrade for mid-2009 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.