Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot restore a file from Time Machine

I messed up a data file and tried to restore it from Time Machine. It produced the message "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access VDJS 2016 Finances”. I am using an early 2009 iMac running OS 10.8.5. I have checked permissions, and since I'm the only one using this computer everyone has read - write permission. The version of the file I'm trying to use to replace the messed up one was saved only days ago and should have the same permissions. I apparently cannot use Disk Utility to check or repair permissions on the Time Machine if the problem is with the saved file. I have another backup using DropBox, but I have "cleverly" organized that so that it saves changes to files as they are saved to the computer, so it currently has the messed up version saved. Others have reported this problem resulting in this message about permissions, but not in similar circumstances as the situation I am in.

Mountain Lion-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), iMac: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on May 5, 2016 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2016 7:58 AM

Start with E10 in the 1st linked article.

Time Machine Troubleshooting

Time Machine Troubleshooting Problems

3 replies

May 6, 2016 5:05 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks, Eric. I had the right idea, but didn't know my way around Time Machine well enough to know what to do. Thanks again for coming to the rescue, and I will now build another layer of backups to save the surge in blood pressure you experience when you realize that you maybe just lost a file that is oh! so important, and Time Machine doesn't seem to help.

Cannot restore a file from Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.