Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

constant activation required

Using an iPad 4 cellular (without actually using cell service, only wifi). After 9.3.1 was released EVERY TIME the iPad is powered off and then back on the iPad says it needs to be activated. This is a problem as my disabled son uses it and is constantly turning it off. Yes, I can activate it using iTunes and sometimes even from the iPad itself but this is annoying as my son uses it frequently for school. Besides, the iOS should work as it's supposed to.

iPhone 4, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 5, 2016 4:22 PM

7 replies

May 5, 2016 4:37 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hello Chris, I have tried everything but throwing it against the wall.

1. Restarting causes it to want an activation.

2. Hard reset does the same.

3. ITunes and iCloud restore backup didn't work.

4. Factory reset didn't help.

5. Even tried DFU mode and that didn't work either.

I'm guessing there's no way to downgrade from 9.3.1.

May 5, 2016 4:42 PM in response to mhrose

What do you mean a factory reset did not help? If you restored the device to factory, did not add any content to it, and it still requests activation, then something else is wrong with it. I'm not sure what, but once you activate the device, it should not request to be activated again. Is it to activate the entire device, or to activate your cellular? I wanted to make sure since you mentioned the cellular in the beginning.

There is no way to downgrade iOS, Apple does not support it. Overall, there is nothing wrong with iOS 9.3.1. While some users experience some issues, they are generally individual device issues. I've not seen where the device is constantly requesting to activate. Once you activate it after the factory restore, what do you do that makes it request activation again?

May 5, 2016 4:59 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

It's not cellular that wants activating, he only uses wi-fi and it has no cell connection. When factory reset is done it starts just fine but after adding all the apps (not restoring from backup) and signing into iTunes account with Apple I.d. and password that's where the problem starts. Once the iPad is powered off and then turned back on is when it requests activation. All the apps are ones that have he's been using since he got the iPad.

I'll give factory reset a try again. I haven't found anyone else that has this problem as well.

Thanks for your help

May 5, 2016 7:01 PM in response to mhrose

And I don't think you will find anyone. Since you restore to factory and it starts out fine, the next step seems to be about your adding apps. It seems there is something wrong with one of the apps, if it seems to go bad when you have added apps.

If you restore the device to factory and activate and not add anything at all extra to the device, if you power the device off after that, does it request activation again, or does it just seem to do this after you have added apps again? If it is after apps are added, I suggest that you add the apps one or two at a time so you can narrow down the offending app. That seems to be the only explanation for this issue. Add a couple of apps then power cycle the phone. If it works alright, then add a couple more, until you experience the problem. Then you should be able to narrow down the offender. From there, you can try contacting the apps support to see if they have any experience with this type of problem.

constant activation required

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.