Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My IPad is disabled and I'm trying to get it restored. The instructions I have tell me to force start the IPad but I can't use it because it's disabled. I don't know what to do next.

My iPad is disabled and I'm trying to get it back. The instructions I read told me to do things on my IPad which I can't do because it's disabled. Can anyone help me in simple steps that won't have me going in circles?

iPad Air

Posted on May 5, 2016 2:56 PM

4 replies

May 5, 2016 3:01 PM in response to isabelfromkentville

Are you looking at Apple's official instructions? If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support

Putting your iPad in Recovery Mode is different from doing a force restart - you hold both the home and power buttons until you see the Apple logo, but when do see it, you'll need to let go of the power button but continue holding the home button until you see the iTunes logo with a Lightning cable picture displayed on your iPad. This needs to be done when your iPad is plugged in to your computer. Then you can follow the prompts from iTunes on your computer.

May 5, 2016 3:22 PM in response to stevejobsfan0123

Well that didn't work. iTunes said it was installing new software on my IPad so I waited and finally it came back and said it could not access my IPad because it was Password locked and to enter my Password on my IPad.....full circle once again and I'm now getting the "Password Disabled. Connect to ITunes" message as before. I'm very frustrated.

May 5, 2016 3:54 PM in response to isabelfromkentville

After 3 tries and ITunes telling me that they can't connect to my IPad all of a sudden it started setting up my IPad with a clean slate. I lost everything on my IPad and have to start all over again. All of this because I upgraded my IPad and Apple had a glitch that required my original password when I purchased my IPad and locked me out when I couldn't find the right password. I'm not a happy camper with Apple right now.

Thanks Steve for your help.At least you got me to the point where I could get the IPad working again.

My IPad is disabled and I'm trying to get it restored. The instructions I have tell me to force start the IPad but I can't use it because it's disabled. I don't know what to do next.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.