Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I make a playlist on iTunes to burn a CD, the songs on the playlist are labeled wrong

I burned a CD on iTunes but the labeling of the songs is incorrect. I deleted the playlist from iTunes and made a new one to burn a new CD but it's doing the same thing. Is there a way to correct this? The CD I'm trying to burn was not purchased from iTunes.

Posted on May 5, 2016 4:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2016 7:37 PM

Thought Tacos wrote:

I burned a CD on iTunes but the labeling of the songs is incorrect. I deleted the playlist from iTunes and made a new one to burn a new CD but it's doing the same thing. Is there a way to correct this? The CD I'm trying to burn was not purchased from iTunes.

Thought,

I gather from your description that you are talking about ripping, not burning, correct?

When the CD is inserted, iTunes retrieves a "best guess" of the track information from the Gracenote database. If the information is missing or incorrect, you can correct it via right-click, Get Info on the affected track(s). Do the corrections before the rip, and then the imported tracks will go into iTunes with the correct tags.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2016 7:37 PM in response to Thought Tacos

Thought Tacos wrote:

Thought,

I gather from your description that you are talking about ripping, not burning, correct?

When the CD is inserted, iTunes retrieves a "best guess" of the track information from the Gracenote database. If the information is missing or incorrect, you can correct it via right-click, Get Info on the affected track(s). Do the corrections before the rip, and then the imported tracks will go into iTunes with the correct tags.

May 5, 2016 7:36 PM in response to ed2345

Thank you, Ed. Your answer is probably accurate but I didn't make myself clear. I already have this CD in my music library and want to burn (rip?) a CD to keep in my car. I added this album to my iTunes library last year and cannot find the actual CD so I'm relying on my music library to burn a CD. I did follow the steps you suggested but I can only edit 4 things: details, artwork, options (media kind, playback, volume adjust and equalizer), and sorting. The song lineup is in the correct order and the songs are labeled correctly in my library. The screw up is when I add to a playlist for burning purposes. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks again, Ed

May 6, 2016 6:02 PM in response to Thought Tacos

Thought Tacos wrote:

I didn't check anything and didn't look to see if anything was checked in the burn dialog. I just clicked OK and started the process. So you're saying when burning an audio CD, enable CD Text and this will correct these issues I'm encountering. Thanks, Ed

I wish it were that simple, but it isn't. Here is the story:

If you want to be sure of having correctly tagged songs on the disc, burn as an MP3 CD. But some car players cannot play MP3 CDs, so check your manual first, or look for an MP3 icon on the player faceplate. Also be aware that iTunes can only burn an MP3 CD from songs already in MP3 format. So if you have songs in AAC or other goofy formats, you will have to create MP3 versions first.

If your player cannot handle MP3 CDs, you will have to make an audio CD. An audio CD will play on virtually any player. However, the songs will not be tagged (see footnote). You can use iTunes to add "CD Text" at burn time, but many players ignore it. Try burning one and see if your car can use the CD Text to display the track info properly. If yes (like my son's Honda) you are good to go. If no (like my wife's Nissan), no dice. You can play the music, but you will not see the track names.

Footnote: Many people see that iTunes displays track info for a burned audio CD, and incorrectly conclude that the track info is on the CD. It is not. For further explanation see How iTunes remembers audio CDs.

When I make a playlist on iTunes to burn a CD, the songs on the playlist are labeled wrong

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.