Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 15 Inch late 2011 stuck on start up

Hello,

My MBP 15inch late 2011 is getting stuck on a white screen after the Apple logo loading screen on startup.

I have tried to start on Safe mode and recovery mode, but the problem is i cant hear the starting sound (my guess is because i left my computer on mute) so i dont know if im doing it right because it always starts the same way, it goes to the logo loading screen, it loads 2 thirds of the way and then goes to the white screen to be stuck.

Please help.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), null

Posted on May 5, 2016 4:37 PM

18 replies

May 6, 2016 6:06 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Tried internet recovery, when it finished downloading it when to the apple logo followed by the grey screen and got stuck there.

Tried the SMC reset, in the loading screen appeared like a distorsion on top and then it went to a blue screen and got stuck. I did a hard reset and try turn it on, and after the loading screen the MBP reset itself. And next we were back to the first problem :/.

Please help

May 6, 2016 12:39 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

I saw the globe image but when the progres bar ended it went to a grey screen and got stuck as i tried to explain before.

Yes i hace access to an imac ( where currently im downloading OS X to a usb as i told you earlier)

I dont have my data saved, but it doesnt matter ill manually download everything again. I just want a working computer 😟

thanks in advance for the help

May 6, 2016 12:47 PM in response to Ricardosp

What I am trying to establish is the 'health' of your HDD. Can yo connect your operational Mac to the MBP via Target Disk Mode:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201462

If so, open Disk Utility on the operational Mac and run Disk Utility>First Aid>Repair on the MBP HDD.

I have doubts that a Mavericks USB installer will lead to a solution, but it will not hurt to have one.

Ciao.

May 6, 2016 1:19 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

I opened disk utility on the working iMac and select the MBP disk. And when i clicked on first aid, it just gave me 2 options cancel or run. So i clicked run, and it ran normally until the progress was completed and it said "first aid progress is complete, click done to continue" ( and the disk on that message had a green check mark on it).

Is it ok?

thanks for the help in adavance

May 6, 2016 1:34 PM in response to Ricardosp

You can run Repair on both.

I have never seen or heard of 'thunderbolt external physical disk' I am guessing that you have the two Mac connected via the Thunderbolt ports.

Have you tired starting the MBP? Is it non-cooperative?

If so, run an Apple Hardware Test which may offer a clue:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

Note that an error free AHT is not conclusive.

Ciao.

May 6, 2016 2:03 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Yeap the problem persist.

I Dod the hardware test

And it said that it detected an error and these message: 4HDD/11/40000000: SATA(0,0)

but a couple of weeks a when i upgraded my ram it gave me that error. And i search it on these forun. And people said that error is normal for people that has upgrades and not to worry.

THoughts?

thanks for the help

May 6, 2016 4:17 PM in response to Ricardosp

Considering the problems you have experienced, you should worry. That error indicates a problem with the connection to the HDD. There are other error codes for RAM and I see no connection in your case.

Given this information, you best option is an appointment at an Apple store genius bar for a FREE evaluation. It may be a faulty SATA cable or perhaps something else in the connection. At any rate, there is not a software solution to your problem, it is hardware related. There is nothing more that we can do than let the Apple technicians properly and precisely define the problem.

Ciao.

MacBook Pro 15 Inch late 2011 stuck on start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.