Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I upgrade 1TB Hard drive to 512G or 1TB SSD?

Hi,

I just purchased a new 5K iMac with 1 TB Hard Drive.

Since I have been a SSD Macbook user for a long time, I found 1TB Hard Drive is much slower than I expected.

Can I upgrade my Hard Drive to SSD?

If so, what should I do?

Thanks.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 5, 2016 4:51 PM

4 replies

May 5, 2016 4:54 PM in response to ian.change

ian.change wrote:

Hi,

I just purchased a new 5K iMac with 1 TB Hard Drive.

Since I have been a SSD Macbook user for a long time, I found 1TB Hard Drive is much slower than I expected.

Can I upgrade my Hard Drive to SSD?

If so, what should I do?

Thanks.

I mean you can, but it might be more trouble than it's worth, might be easier to return the iMac if you can and exchange for one with it built in. Otherwise you can try your hand at it yourself.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+Retina+5K+Display+SSD+Replacemen t/30537

Notice that this repair is designated as "potentially dangerous" and probably not recommended for someone who has not repaired an iMac before.

May 5, 2016 5:46 PM in response to mattypanda

mattypanda wrote:

It wouldn't void the warranty. I've done it to my MacBook. The Apple Store just won't cover your SSD. But the rest of the parts are covered.

It most definitely will void the warranty! Please read the warranty on the iMac, an iMac is NOT a MBP. Apple states:

This Warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (c) to damage caused by use with a third party component or product that does not meet the Apple Product’s specifications (Apple Product specifications are available at www.apple.com under the technical specifications for each product and also available in stores); (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, fire, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines; (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (h) to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the Apple Product; ℹ if any serial number has been removed or defaced from the Apple Product; or (j) if Apple receives information from relevant public authorities that the product has been stolen or if you are unable to deactivate passcode-enabled or other security measures designed to prevent unauthorized access to the Apple Product, and you cannot prove in any way that you are the authorized user of the product (eg. by presenting proof of purchase).

Can I upgrade 1TB Hard drive to 512G or 1TB SSD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.