Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro won't broadcast hotspot.

I am using my iphone as a USB tether and it won't broadcast from my macbook or give the up arrow, nor will ethernet work. I am fairly certain I have all the options configured appropriately in the sharing option but even when experimenting and trying to change it, I get the same result, and I may have made it worse. It displays a box in the airport or wifi status icon that looks like a monitor and it shows it being connected to its own hotspot but there's no broadcast. When looking for the hot spot from the wifi on my phone my computer comes up as a device whether I have internet sharing or a network created at all, could it be my laptop is registering as a device rather than a hotspot? A while back when I was first messing with it I was able to get it to broadcast the hot spot and I could see it as an internet connection to my PS4 but now it won't show up at all. I tried ethernet but the ps4 fails to get the IP address. I enable internet sharing from USB to ethernet and/or wifi but it ends up doing nothing. I create my own network and it ends up doing nothing. If I can just get it to broadcast at all then I could probably figure out the rest but I don't know why it just won't give me the "up arrow." Anything I try it just gives me the box that's either some sort of monitor or ethernet cable or lock possibly. I can create a network without having internet sharing enabled and once I enable internet sharing the arrow comes up for a second then disappears. Don't I need to have internet sharing enabled to create a network at all..? I have tried just about anything I could think of from alternating from Usb tether sharing to ethernet or wifi sharing to ethernet or usb tether sharing as wifi but none of it will work or give me any sort of response. At one point it at least broadcasted but now it does nothing whatsoever. Hopefully this is enough information, I really appreciate any suggestions and I thank you for your input.

The operating system is an OS X 10.9.5 as I didn't see it listed.

MacBook Pro, Other OS, OS X 10.9.5

Posted on May 5, 2016 7:51 PM

There are no replies.

Macbook Pro won't broadcast hotspot.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.