Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting external devices

So I see Apple still did not add any USB ports to the IPad Pro. Is there any adapters that can be purchased? I'm looking to connect an external hard drive to watch videos when traveling, etc. Is this possible?

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 5, 2016 6:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2016 6:51 PM

It's not possible.

In Apple's work flow people use the internet to download, transfer and stream

In the real world 😀 there's not internet everywhere. Regardless, Apple does not support the wired transfer or streaming of files. However you could look for wifi enabled harddrives and use those. Basically it's a drive that makes its own small wifi network you connect your iPad to then stream from there. You usually access the files via an app on your iPad.

You can google for 'wifi enabled hard drives' and should see some options. The Kingston Wi-Drive is one example but I'm sure there are others

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2016 6:51 PM in response to michaeltee1975

It's not possible.

In Apple's work flow people use the internet to download, transfer and stream

In the real world 😀 there's not internet everywhere. Regardless, Apple does not support the wired transfer or streaming of files. However you could look for wifi enabled harddrives and use those. Basically it's a drive that makes its own small wifi network you connect your iPad to then stream from there. You usually access the files via an app on your iPad.

You can google for 'wifi enabled hard drives' and should see some options. The Kingston Wi-Drive is one example but I'm sure there are others

Connecting external devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.