Looks like no oneā€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I put an Intel i7 into a Mac Pro 5.1?

I Have been looking at aquiering a 2010 Mac Pro with a single 3.06Gha Intel Xeon 6 core processer and was wondering if I could upgrade it to an Intel i7 4GHz 6 core processer?

Any help or advice would be great!!

THanks

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 5, 2016 8:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2016 4:01 AM

No. Since the Intel i7 uses a FCLGA1150 socket and the Intel Xeon uses a PPGA604, they are not interchangeable.

14 replies

May 6, 2016 4:01 AM in response to Mac geek Allard

As others have mentioned you cannot fit an i7 chip of any generation. The easiest upgrade is a faster single Xeon chip upgrade. A more expensive upgrade would be to trade-in your single CPU tray for a dual CPU tray with also possibly faster Xeon chips.

While this will still not give you i7 features like proper Airplay Mirroring support it will give you up to 12 CPU cores (24 threads with hyper threading) and be close to the speed of the current Mac Pro.

May 19, 2016 8:03 AM in response to marcusfromluleƄ

Would have been great to get some more years out of my macpro5,1 as a primary desktop šŸ˜Ÿ

That Mac is a very good performer today, and I would (and do!) recommend that users buy it today for all sorts of Applications.

If yours is not performing adequately, there is something wrong with the computer -OR- the way you have it configured.

Most of these Mac Pro silver towers have plenty of compute power, but are often I/O bound. Changing what drives are used and how they are used often makes them really fast again. Users have remarked that doing some of these things make it seem like they got a brand new computer.

what are you doing with yours, and what drives are you using?

May 19, 2016 10:02 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I am doing CAD-work (in both OS X and windows). I noticed how Revit probably wants some more RAM (I got 10 gb now).

But my biggest concern are games, because I see most games now require a i5 or i7 processor. So I would love to keep this computer and still be able to play some games on it. And my wife would not be happy if I get a new computer just for games.

I use and SSD for system and boot and then common SATA drives for storage.

May 19, 2016 11:26 AM in response to marcusfromluleƄ

because I see most games now require a i5 or i7 processor

That is because most Users do not own a computer with a Server-class Xeon processor, NOT because a Xeon is inferior -- far from it!

You may need to update to a later graphics card if your Mac Pro silver tower came with a minimal Graphics card. That can increase frame rates (they are already faster than the human threshold of vision of about 12 frames/sec) and may help your CAD computations as well.

Can I put an Intel i7 into a Mac Pro 5.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.