Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic board has to be replaced

Hello everyone,

So, last week my late 2012 iMac's fan started going crazy whenever I powered off. I went online and after some searching, I read that this could be a sign of problems with the logic board, which is never good news.

I took the computer to the local Apple store and, a couple days later, I had the confirmation: new logic board needed.

Because it's so expensive to replace it (787€ - aprox. 898$), I went ahead and brought home a new iMac. Now I have the defective machine at home, and I'm wondering what I should do with it. Here's the thing, and this is where I really need your input, the computer is working just fine, apart from the fan spinning like crazy when I power the machine off. Otherwise, it's as good as it was, and no one would ever say there's something wrong with it. It actually hurts me to think about selling it, because it's standing right here next to me, working as well as ever.

When will the "default logic board" show itself? I mean, could it last a couple days, a few weeks, could it be months?

The guys at the Apple store told me I could sell it cheap for parts, or sell it and mention the repair costs, and someone might just be interested in buying it and repair it.

What do you guys think? And if it was your machine, how much would you sell it for, as it is?

Thank you so much.

All the best,

Rui

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), 3.1GHz Intel Core i5 - 8GB RAM

Posted on May 6, 2016 12:43 AM

1 reply

Logic board has to be replaced

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.