Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to number the lines of my pages document for journal submission. Please help!

I need to number the lines of a document which is to be submitted to a journal. I can make a section in the document, but I can't find a command to then add in the line numbers.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 5, 2016 10:13 PM

7 replies

May 6, 2016 11:36 AM in response to Misha74

Hi Misha,

Pages 3 includes Show Word count as a menu item in the View menu:

User uploaded file

The count appears at the bottom left of the page, and shows more options when you click on it. Unfortunately, "line count" is not included in the available options:

User uploaded file

If you had Pages '09 on your Mac, and did not intentionally remove it when you installed Pages 5, it will still be there, in a folder named iWork '09, in your Applications folder.

Copy your document, Open Pages '09, and paste the contents of your document into a new word processing document in Pages '09.

Check that the end of the document comes on the same page (number) and about the same position on that page as in the original, and make small changes to the margins to adjust this if necessary.

Then go Edit > Writing Tools > Statistics to see this more complete report:

User uploaded file

Note that if you need to submit the journal article in a format other than a Pages file, the line count may change due to formatting changes in conversion to the new format.

If you do not have Pages '09, you can get a line count using Tools > Line Numbers in Apache OpenOffice or LibreOffice. Both are open source applications, free to download and use (although you may be asked for a donation to assist with future development of the application). The links will take you to their respective websites.

Oh...One more thing (as Steve jobs was wont to say at times): in Pages (3), go Pages (menu) > Provide pages Feedback, and make a feature request to have line count (and line numbering) added to the capabilities of Pages 3.

Regards,

Barry

May 6, 2016 10:39 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks VikingOSX - i have unfortunately come to realisation this is true - and you have confirmed it! The first failing of my mac since changing over last year. Was hoping not to have to buy word for mac but it seems I might have to 😟. Dont think I have time to work out how to use the other software you mention.

May 6, 2016 10:50 PM in response to Misha74

"pages isnt quite what word is...."

As has been stated here many times, Pages isn't even what Pages was, since the 'upgrade' from Pages '09 to Pages 3. 😟

The Write section of Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice resemble Word much more closely than does Pages. You may find a transition there from Word easier than expected.

Regards,

Barry

May 7, 2016 4:15 AM in response to Misha74

Your Mac did not fail you. Microsoft Word has been in continuous evolution, and attuned to corporate word processing requirements since 1983. The Pages v5 application was initially released as a new product in October 2013, and Apple has underwhelmed us with their product commitment.

Office 2016 for Mac is an improved product, and its Word 2016 should serve you well.

I need to number the lines of my pages document for journal submission. Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.