Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Capacity differences between iPhone and iPod Touch

Hi all. I'm feeling a little stumped here and could use some help.

First, I'd like to make sure that I'm computing capacity correctly. I know from reading the support article that there will be some differences between the capacity shown on our devices and what we calculate so that's not a problem. I'm calculating the expected capacity for my devices as follows:

iPhone (16 GB): 16,000,000,000/1,073,741,824 = 14.9 GB

iPod Touch (32 GB): 32,000,000,000/1,073,741,824 = 29.8 GB

As expected these amounts differ from the amounts listed on the devices themselves due to formatting, gremlins, etc. However, the following are the listed amounts as well as their percentages of the stated capacity:

iPhone: 11.9 GB (74.4%)

iPod Touch: 28.4 GB (88.8%)

Second, I'm wondering is if it is normal for the capacity percentage to be that much lower for the iPhone than it is for the iPod Touch. In the support article mentioned earlier it states that it's normal for a 32 GB device to show about 28 GB but is it normal for the 16 GB to show around 12 GB rather than around 14.2 GB which it would be using the same percentage of 88.8%? Thanks for any enlightenment about this.

iPhone SE

Posted on May 5, 2016 11:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2016 12:40 AM

no phone software on an iPod.

the size of the phone software would be a fixed size, not a %.

3 replies

May 6, 2016 10:38 PM in response to LACAllen

Thanks for the reply, LACAllen. I see what you're saying about the storage used for the software. Something that I didn't notice as I was blathering away is that the difference for both devices is about the same: 4.1 GB for the iPhone (16 - 11.9) and 3.6 GB for the iPod Touch (32 - 28.4). I think I was just starting to panic a little bit because my available storage is already down to 9 GB on the iPhone and I haven't put that much on it so far, 10 apps and a handful of photos.

Capacity differences between iPhone and iPod Touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.