Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

nickname taken error

I want to write a review for a podcast but I keep getting an error, "nickname taken enter another and try again" I've tried normal names and then m23f47svg43b6jobo9m7, kk08lkj2hs84xu1n9, sdf04f5hvu8dvs21rbu691btxi5. No way that's a legit error.

Tried on both ipad air2 and windows itunes.

iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 5, 2016 11:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2016 4:39 PM

I think Andrew has it. Worked for me. Believe you need to put in this '@nickname' format in the nicmname box on the review.

10 replies

Jun 5, 2016 2:04 PM in response to mrwithington

I could be wrong, but I think I just figured this out. You have to go into your Itunes on a computer, and under your profile, give yourself a nickname. Then, when writing a review, don't write anything in the nickname spot and submit it. I hope this works. Regardless, Apple needs to figure this out. It has been very annoying for me this week.

Nov 1, 2016 5:15 AM in response to mrwithington

SO frustrating. Last week I wrote a very long, hopefully helpful review and the duplicate nickname error erased it. This is happened two more times in the last week, but at least I have remembered to select the text of my review and copy it before trying each nickname. My third try worked this time, but who knows if that same nickname will then be taking the next time I want to review something? Why in gods name don't they just use a version of your Apple ID with a bunch of asterisks in it or something like that?

help!

Nov 5, 2016 12:27 PM in response to mrwithington

Same issue, and also the entire review disappears, meaning don't write a review unless you either copy into clipboard before posting, or are 100% sure your nickname is available, and the App store is bug-free.

Writing this, by the way, and using the arrow keys on my Apple-recommended Logitech Type+ keyboard autoscrolls to the bottom of the page; regardless of which arrow key is pressed.

Dear Apple,

You are losing a customer next time I need to upgrade my products unless you change your attitude towards customer service. Updating to iOS 10 was a bona fide disaster. As a customer I need to be able to look forward to using your products, not rue the gauntlet I have to run whenever an update is in the making.

nickname taken error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.