Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding 2nd HDD to Time Capsule - best practice?

Hi,

I have a Late 2012 iMac running El Capitan, backing up to a 4th Gen 2 TB Time Capsule. The total size of my backup is 1.05 TB. Incremental backups take the total space used on the TC to around 1.6 TB.

Scared of the TC's HDD going phut I have, as a 'belt and braces' approach, yesterday connected a 2 TB Western Digital Elements HDD to the TC and initiated alternate backups from Time Machine. It is currently performing it's first backup to the new HDD, formatted Mac OS extended (journaled).

The iMac and TC are connected via 200AV Homeplugs.

I have two questions, if I may..

Should I have copied the existing backups from the TC internal HDD to the new external HDD first, so that both backups are continuing from the same point, with the same 'history', as they backup alternately? Is this wise or even possible? As is stands, the new HDD is backing up the iMac from scratch so if the TC's HDD were to die I would lose all the historical backups (they go back to March 2015), with just a very recent version on the new HDD.

The progress of the backup to the new HDD, whilst connected to the TC, is slooooooow. After 11 hours I'm only 16GB into 1.05TB - it hasn't even calculated the time remaining yet :-) I assumed connecting the iMac via Homeplug would be more robust than WiFi for such a large data transfer. I appreciate there are many different factors at play here - the size of the files, the indexing of the backup, the speed of the Homeplugs, the age / standard of my house wiring, etc etc.

Would I have been better off connecting this new external HDD direct to the iMac, do the first backup and then connect it to the TC to continue it's alternate incremental backups? Again, is that even possible?

Many thanks for any help. Having only switched to Mac a few years back I love TM - I never did find a Windows backup system which worked for me like TM does.

Cheers.

Time Capsule 802.11n (4th Gen)

Posted on May 6, 2016 3:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2016 3:58 PM

Should I have copied the existing backups from the TC internal HDD to the new external HDD first, so that both backups are continuing from the same point, with the same 'history',

IMHO you are doing it the correct way by backing up afresh.

History is not that important after a few weeks and months... if the computer was stolen for example.. what you want to do is to restore the computer as is.. and what you were doing last year is really of little relevance.. Even if the Gen4 TC goes bad, the history is never likely to be lost from the Gen4 TC.. it simply needs the hard disk removed to get at it. But it is the current image of the computer that is still the most important.

We have found copying backups not hugely successful. Although in this case it would have been possible by doing an archive.. still if you asked the question of what you should do.. Myself and several others here would always recommend a new clean backup as being the most reliable method.

Would I have been better off connecting this new external HDD direct to the iMac, do the first backup and then connect it to the TC to continue it's alternate incremental backups? Again, is that even possible?

This is a good question.. EOP adapters can be very slow. Slower even than wireless AV200 are a fairly old standard and the actual speed could be down around 30Mbps.. it might surprise you.. and indeed should have been measured before you started.

The problem is Time Machine backs up differently to local cf network drives.. when you plug the USB drive into the TC it is then a network drive and the backup will not be recognised.

Pondini wrote up a method to get around that.

See Q18 here.

http://pondini.org/TM/FAQ.html

I have not tried it.. Bob Timmons who is regular poster here has and discovered it was unreliable. I think a backup is too important to fiddle with in this way.

However leaving the USB drive plugged into the Mac and keeping the backup local makes very good sense. It is much faster and more reliable than backups over the network.

If you really want to have the backup on the WD drive plugged into the TC, then I recommend you do it via ethernet.. remove the TC from the network if it is too far for a patch lead.. you can save the current configuration (export in the top menu of airport utility).. then plug it into the computer directly with a short patch lead.. and the USB drive into the TC.. the backup will be many times faster.. less than a full day (24hr) for 1TB if all goes well. Once completed you can then put the TC with the USB drive back into the network location.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2016 3:58 PM in response to le.bouch

Should I have copied the existing backups from the TC internal HDD to the new external HDD first, so that both backups are continuing from the same point, with the same 'history',

IMHO you are doing it the correct way by backing up afresh.

History is not that important after a few weeks and months... if the computer was stolen for example.. what you want to do is to restore the computer as is.. and what you were doing last year is really of little relevance.. Even if the Gen4 TC goes bad, the history is never likely to be lost from the Gen4 TC.. it simply needs the hard disk removed to get at it. But it is the current image of the computer that is still the most important.

We have found copying backups not hugely successful. Although in this case it would have been possible by doing an archive.. still if you asked the question of what you should do.. Myself and several others here would always recommend a new clean backup as being the most reliable method.

This is a good question.. EOP adapters can be very slow. Slower even than wireless AV200 are a fairly old standard and the actual speed could be down around 30Mbps.. it might surprise you.. and indeed should have been measured before you started.

The problem is Time Machine backs up differently to local cf network drives.. when you plug the USB drive into the TC it is then a network drive and the backup will not be recognised.

Pondini wrote up a method to get around that.

See Q18 here.

http://pondini.org/TM/FAQ.html

I have not tried it.. Bob Timmons who is regular poster here has and discovered it was unreliable. I think a backup is too important to fiddle with in this way.

However leaving the USB drive plugged into the Mac and keeping the backup local makes very good sense. It is much faster and more reliable than backups over the network.

If you really want to have the backup on the WD drive plugged into the TC, then I recommend you do it via ethernet.. remove the TC from the network if it is too far for a patch lead.. you can save the current configuration (export in the top menu of airport utility).. then plug it into the computer directly with a short patch lead.. and the USB drive into the TC.. the backup will be many times faster.. less than a full day (24hr) for 1TB if all goes well. Once completed you can then put the TC with the USB drive back into the network location.

May 6, 2016 4:16 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you for your detailed and very helpful reply. I will take some time to digest what you've suggested and work out where to go from here.

I'm trying to avoid HDDs connected directly to the iMac although I see the advantages, especially speed!

I also now see that it's unwise to try and move backups around.

Your answer has also made me examine my attitude to the backups themselves, ie why exactly DO I need backups from March 2015 :-)

I think my best bet will be to abort the current 'new' backup and start again, either via wifi, long network cable (TC is in a separate room to the iMac) or removing the TC from the network as you suggest. Although that last idea may meet with family resistance as it would mean disconnecting from my BT modem and the web...

Thanks again.

May 7, 2016 5:46 AM in response to LaPastenague

LaPastenague wrote:

If you really want to have the backup on the WD drive plugged into the TC, then I recommend you do it via ethernet..

Rather than risk the wrath of the family by removing the TC from the network I have patched the TC directly to the iMac via a long ethernet cable and all is ticking along nicely now. I did try it by wifi first - that was MUCH faster than the Homeplugs, as you suggested it would be.

Another question, if I may:

At the end of this I'll end up with two useable backup disks, one inside the TC and my external WD HDD connected to it via USB. When it comes to restoring from the external HDD, will that only ever work if it's still connected to the TC, i.e. I won't just be able to connect via USB to the iMac?

Thanks

May 7, 2016 6:34 AM in response to le.bouch

Another question, if I may:

At the end of this I'll end up with two useable backup disks, one inside the TC and my external WD HDD connected to it via USB. When it comes to restoring from the external HDD, will that only ever work if it's still connected to the TC, i.e. I won't just be able to connect via USB to the iMac?

Good question.. the answer is that you can indeed use the USB drive plugged directly into the computer. Time Machine requires the backup to be placed in a sparsebundle remotely.. but it has no issue reading it locally.. It is simply that it is not required for local backups.

There is some logic or venn diagrams or something.. you cannot backup locally and read remotely.. but you can backup remotely and read locally.

(Although that is simplistic and I had to edit so you realise this is not 100% the Truth.. this is more practical truth.. if that makes sense).

Adding 2nd HDD to Time Capsule - best practice?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.