Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

start page number on specific page using pages

Ok I am writiing a dissertation in pages and I need to start numbers of pages from 5th page and I need it to start with #1

I need to skip first 4 pages and then I need the numbers to start from number 1 🙂. I could not find a way how to do it. I have only find how to hide a number on a first page or how to start numbering from 3,4,5 ect but not from 1,2,3 on 5th page.

Is there a way to do it?

Thanks a lot

I am using El Capitan 10.11.4 and Pages 5.6.1

Thank you.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on May 6, 2016 2:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2016 8:13 AM

In Pages v5.6.1, select View menu : Show Page Thumbnails. Pages 1 thru 4 are in one section with no page numbering. At the end of page 4, you start a new section (Insert menu : Section).

Select the new section in the Thumbnails. Insert a '#' in your footer, and then Insert Page number. It will show # 5. In the Toolbar, click the word Document. This will open a new panel on the right, and then click Section. You want to deselect Hide on first page of section, and Match previous section. For Page Numbering, you want Start at 1.

Now your fifth page initiates numbering at # 1.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2016 8:13 AM in response to matylda

In Pages v5.6.1, select View menu : Show Page Thumbnails. Pages 1 thru 4 are in one section with no page numbering. At the end of page 4, you start a new section (Insert menu : Section).

Select the new section in the Thumbnails. Insert a '#' in your footer, and then Insert Page number. It will show # 5. In the Toolbar, click the word Document. This will open a new panel on the right, and then click Section. You want to deselect Hide on first page of section, and Match previous section. For Page Numbering, you want Start at 1.

Now your fifth page initiates numbering at # 1.

start page number on specific page using pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.