Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID requested when restoring from iCloud backup

Hello all,

First time poster, long time reader.....

I've just upgraded from a (new) iPhone 6 to (reconditioned) 6S. During the process of 'Restoring From iCloud Backup' on my 6S device it requested a password for ***********, in addition to my iTunes/App Store password.

At first I thought it was a remnant of the previous owner's account still present on the device, but after Googling ********* it seems like this account isn't just isolated to my issue/device. There doesn't seem to be a solution or explanation on any forums, but exactly the same issue. Have I perhaps purchased a refurbished handset that was previouslyJailbroken? Is there anyway of erasing **************completely from the device/account?

I've tried erasing all content and settings a couple of times and going through the setup process again, but ************ is still requested. Any support or extra information that people may have would be appreciated.

iPhone 6S 64GB

iOS 9.3.1

<Email Edited by Host>

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3.1, Refurbished handset

Posted on May 6, 2016 3:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2016 7:13 AM

Every time people download something from itunes - song or ringtone or app, that software has an ID tag. Tag contains information of apple id it belongs to.

So when you backup old phone to icloud - icloud server sees that tag and in order to download it during restore from icloud backup, because of Apple's respect for copyright ownership it asks you to enter password for such software. Usually it is a song/s downloaded from illegal in some countries file sharing apps. You have choice now to enter the password if that password is known to you or skip that step and apple server will not download that software to your phone. If copyright protection agencies perused these forums for people like you that would be an easy catch. Has completely no difference what phone you restoring it to, you can try to restore to your old phone - same will happen.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2016 7:13 AM in response to mitchelfromlondon

Every time people download something from itunes - song or ringtone or app, that software has an ID tag. Tag contains information of apple id it belongs to.

So when you backup old phone to icloud - icloud server sees that tag and in order to download it during restore from icloud backup, because of Apple's respect for copyright ownership it asks you to enter password for such software. Usually it is a song/s downloaded from illegal in some countries file sharing apps. You have choice now to enter the password if that password is known to you or skip that step and apple server will not download that software to your phone. If copyright protection agencies perused these forums for people like you that would be an easy catch. Has completely no difference what phone you restoring it to, you can try to restore to your old phone - same will happen.

Apple ID requested when restoring from iCloud backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.