Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac doesn't start correctly

When I start the mac it doesn't work, and, instead of starting, a logo of a folder with an interrogation sign (?) on it appears. I have to forcibly switch off the computer and switch it on again, sometimes several times, until it works and finally starts correctly and I can login. What can it be? Has anyone experienced the same issue? Thanks!

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 6, 2016 5:35 AM

2 replies

May 6, 2016 3:33 PM in response to sergruizes

Folder with a question mark

User uploaded file

If you see a folder with a question mark appear instead of the Apple logo, it means your Mac couldn't find a local or network-based startup disk. This can happen if the disk selected in the Startup Disk pane of System Preferences isn't available. Wait a few seconds to see if your Mac is able to locate the startup disk you specified.

If you still see a question mark after waiting a few moments, use Startup Manager to start up your Mac, then re-select your startup disk from System Preferences.

If a question mark appears after you install a software update, re-select your startup disk using OS X Recovery.

Mac doesn't start correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.