Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving the first Bar - for video sync and offset

As I was a long time Protools user I have a question regarding song start and bar 1 offsets . and still bounce correct timestamped audio.!

I have a short 2min Video Click imported and the music needs to start a sec or 2 after the file starts then only way I have found to do this is

1. have the music start on bar 1 beat 1 is drag the Project start back i.e - 2 bars

2. slip the Movie clip so the point which you want music to start is bar 1

3. create the SMPTE offset to 01.00.00.... or which ever SMPTE start time your client needs.

is this the correct way to go about this ?

my other idea was to create a tempo map and use that to move the closest down beat to the music start

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on May 6, 2016 4:24 AM

2 replies

May 6, 2016 5:48 AM in response to grayedout

Hi

grayedout wrote:

1. have the music start on bar 1 beat 1 is drag the Project start back i.e - 2 bars

Having a Logic project with negative start points is generally regarded as a BAD idea: various odd bugs etc can occur.

grayedout wrote:

2. slip the Movie clip so the point which you want music to start is bar 1

Any particular reason why it must be at bar 1? You could easily start (say ) at bar 5. This allows for a pre-roll to the music start point.

grayedout wrote:

3. create the SMPTE offset to 01.00.00.... or which ever SMPTE start time your client needs.

You need the correct SMPTE offset (taking into account whatever start bar you choose) to get the timestamps etc to match the movie timecode.

CCT

May 6, 2016 5:59 AM in response to CCTM

Thanks, did know about the negative start bugs..

no doesn't have to be bar 1 , when I work on a Film ion Reels and Tv Ep all songs start at 00:59:50:.. or what ever the client sets and I just work on the time so could be bar 5 could be bar 105 ..

its just I was working to day on a small 2min Video and they temped my Music right at the top of the movie (well 1.2 sec in)

so I drop the move in from Bar1 , then could work out how to keep the movie at the top of the song a shift bar (like I would in Protools)

but yes I get I could move the movie clip to around bar 5 , the fine tune to so the first midi would start on a down beat , and then go to the SMPTE window and set the SMPTE start to at correct time for start of the Movie ..

jest checkin this is the correct way to work in Logic really

Moving the first Bar - for video sync and offset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.