Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WIFI extremely slow - Airport Extreme 802.11AC and Motorola Surfboard 6121

First, sorry for the wall of text.

So two days ago, my wife complained that the wifi was really slow on her phone. She complains a lot, so I ignored it and told he I would check. Yesterday when I got home from work, she said she was having a hard time logging into her work computer using LogMeIn and that the connection kept dropping. At about the same time, my uncle mentioned that the wifi seemed really slow, so I decided it was time to check things out.

My setup:

Motorola SB6121 connected to Airport Extreme Refurbished (FE918LL/A) via ethernet. Connected to the Airport is a VOIP phone and an external 1TB HDD.

That's really about it. The computer sits about 5 feet from the router, and the modem is right next to that. Cable line into house splits once, and then there is a straight shot to the modem. All TV's are split after that. At any given time, there are between 15-20 devices connected (2 iPhones, 2 Laptops, 2 iPads, 2 Apple TVs, Xbox, Smart TV, 3 Wireless security cameras, Ecob3 thermostat, and then anyone who comes in the house.)

There is a "Home" network and a "Guest" network set up.

History:

This is all on Comcast. Modem and router have always been in the same place. Started with an older Motorola SB4200i about 10 years ago. Had that hooked up to a Linksys router, you all know the one WRTG54G (can't believe I still remember those model numbers). Replaced the Linksys with the flat airport extreme third gen in 2009. Upgraded the SB4200i to the 6121 a few years back. Don't remember when, but it was probably about 3 years ago. In January of this year, I upgraded the 3rd Gen Airport extreme to the FE918LL/A. Up to that point, never had any real issues. Occasional slow downs through the process, but overall, no complaints. No setting have ever been touched on any of the products. Just plugged everything in and off we went. Just like apple products should work.

Current issue:

The connection literally drops to nothing every 2-3 minutes, and stays down for about 30-40 seconds. Some time more frequently, some times longer duration's. I open airport utility, and I can see the connection go from green to amber. While that happens, I maybe get 1Mbps down. Upload speeds seem fine (steady at 5Mbps up) but download goes to 1Mbps or lower.

What I've tried:

1. Unplug everything, let it sit for 10 seconds, plug it back in. Same issue.

2. Unplug everything, let it sit for 30 mins, plug it back in. Same issue.

3. Remove the Airport Extreme. Direct Ethernet from 6121 to computer. Unplug modem, set up, and test. Download speeds at 30Mbps, upload at 5Mbps (what I pay for). No issues and consistent connection.

4. Plug it all back in after seeing modem was not problem. Same issue.

5. Take out old 3rd Gen airport extreme. Set up, plug everything in. Same issue.

Next step:

So I did most of that between 2am and 5am so my wife could work today. My plan is to wipe the Airport Extreme and reconfigure from fresh to see if that works. I am skeptical. These two have been working well for the last 4 months, and before that, for 3+ years with the old 3rd Gen Airport Extreme. Nothing has been updated as far as I know, and because the modem works flawlessly when connected directly to the computer, I can't imagine that's the problem. So unless there was a firmware update I am not aware of, I'm at a loss.

I could take the Airport Extreme back to apple to get a replacement, but I don't think that's the problem either. I should probably try a new modem, but I'd hate to throw money at a problem that a software update may fix.

I have read about issues with the 6141, but not nearly as many with the 6121. I know the 6121 is at the end of it's life, so is it best to upgrade anyway? Is this more common than I realized?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on May 6, 2016 4:38 AM

9 replies

May 6, 2016 8:31 AM in response to Jayrautio

I have read about issues with the 6141, but not nearly as many with the 6121. I know the 6121 is at the end of it's life, so is it best to upgrade anyway? Is this more common than I realized?

Unfortunately, yes it is. This issue appears more often with the combination of the 802.11ac AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule and the Arris / Motorola SB61XX-series of modems.

Since your modem is near end-of-life, I would suggest that you consider replacing it with a model that your ISP supports. I would recommend Cisco or Zoom modems.

May 6, 2016 9:05 AM in response to Tesserax

Looking at Comcast's list, they have the Zoom 5370 listed as compatible, but then reviews say differently. Is there a reliable alternative that you know of?

Here is the Zoom List for Reference:

55 ZoomTelephonics5341 (Retail)Retail Cable ModemUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file
56 ZoomTelephonics5341J (Retail)Retail Cable ModemUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file
57 ZoomTelephonics5345 (Retail)Retail Cable ModemUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file
58 ZoomTelephonics5350 (Retail)Retail Wireless-N Cable Modem RouterUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file
59 ZoomTelephonics5352 (Retail)Retail Wireless-N Cable Modem RouterUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file
60 ZoomTelephonics5354 (Retail)Retail Wireless-N Cable Modem RouterUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file
61 ZoomTelephonics5360 (Retail)Retail Dual band Wireless GatewayUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file
62 ZoomTelephonics5363 (Retail)Retail Wireless-802.11AC Cable Modem RouterUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file
63 ZoomTelephonics5370 (Retail)Retail Cable ModemUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

May 10, 2016 8:19 AM in response to Jayrautio

Let's see if these two devices are having trouble communicating with each other.

For the following I am going to assume that you have a Mac laptop, at least one running OS X El Capitan. If not, please let me know what computer (& their respective OS versions are) so I can provide the proper directions.

We want to access OS X's Network Utility. It was "hidden" in El Capitan, so bear with the following set of steps to access and use it:

• From the Apple menu > About This Mac... > System Report > From the System Information tool menu > Window > Network Utility
  • Run the Network Utility > Click on the Netstat tab > Select the option "Display routing table information" > Click on the Netstat button

Please do not post the results as it includes MAC address information that you don't want to make known publicly. Look at the results under Internet. (You can ignore those under Internet6 for this exercise.)

What you are looking at is a listing of each device on your network with their corresponding IP & MAC addresses. (Note: This is called the router's ARP table.) You should find roughly 15-25 entries here. You may have double that with all of the devices used on your network. This would be considered normal. If you find many more entries than that, it would indicate something is amiss with the router's ability to communicate with other network devices including the modem.

If you find that is the case with the Netstat results, I would like for you to first clear the ARP table, and then, run Network Utility in a day or so, and check the results again. If, again, you have excessive entries, then it is still possible that the AEBS is the culprit and would need to be replaced.

You will need to use Terminal to clear the ARP table, as follows:

• On your Mac, go to the Utilities folder, and then, run Terminal.
  • At the prompt in Terminal, enter: arp -d -a <Return>
  • Type: exit <Return> to exit Terminal.

May 13, 2016 6:04 PM in response to Jayrautio

I have 15 entries under destination, so I assume i don't need to clear this.

I would still suggest going ahead and clearing the ARP table. Again, wait a day or two and check it again. If it still only has 15-25 entries then it doesn't appear to be a communication issue between these two devices.

The only other thing I would recommend is to have your ISP perform a line-check to the modem to make sure nothing is potentially wrong there.

WIFI extremely slow - Airport Extreme 802.11AC and Motorola Surfboard 6121

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.