Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud library adds ALL photos to Camera Roll on IOS Devices

Im trying to use iCloud photo library among my iMac iPhone and iPad.

I turn on the photo library on the iMac and all the images from my Photos App library get copied up. ( 10,000+ images)

I clear all photos off of my iPhone and iPad and then turn on the iCloud library on them also.

Eventually I can see all my photos on either device..

HOWEVER. When I connect either iDevice to my iMac all 10,000+ images get copied back onto the iMac .. So now every time I connect the devices the each download all the images.. which is chewing up a lot of time and Im getting duplicated images in my library.

When I look at the iDevices the entire iCloud Photo library appears in the Camera roll on those devices. I thought the camera roll was supposed to be disabled once I turned on the iCloud Library..

Any ideas on how to proceed?

iOS 9.3.1, iPhone,iPad and iMac

Posted on May 6, 2016 6:27 AM

4 replies

May 8, 2016 5:29 AM in response to LACAllen

Thanks LACAllen..

I understand the iCloud is a sync service, which is why I don't understand the behavior Im seeing.

I add photo A to my photo library on my iMac using import on the photo app.

Photo A get sent to the iCloud photo library and synced to my iPad and iPhone.

That's expected behavior.. The way I would expect it to work.

I take a picture with my iPhone and that photo B gets copied to my iCloud library and synced to my other devices..

Again working as expected.

BUT when I physically connect my iPhone to the iMac ( to backup sync with iTunes) , The Photo app launches and sees Photo A as a new photo which gets imported into my photo library , copied to my iCloud photo library and synced with all my devices.

Now all my devices have two copies of Photo A on them.

This gets amplified when I connect my other iDevices.. I get a "new" copy of PhotoA when I connect my iPhone as well as a 'New' copy when I connect i iPad.

So after connecting both my iPhone and iPad to the iMac I end up with three copies of Photo A.. Which gets synced to my iDevices Which gets imported as a new photo when the devices are connected to the iMac

And that loop keeps churning away every time I connect my iDevice to the iMac.. I seems to only happen to photos I add to the library on the iMac. Pictures I take with the iPhone don't seem to get duplicated.

So I guess my question is .. Why is the Photo App on the iMac seeing the iCloud Library synced photos as "New" rather than "Already Imported"

Gary

iCloud library adds ALL photos to Camera Roll on IOS Devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.