Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot upgrad from OS 10.7.5 to El Capitan

I am trying to upgrade my Mac Pro from OS 10.7.5 to El Capitan through the app store only to get a pop-up box saying: "This version of OS X 10.11 cannot be installed on this computer." No indication as to why or what I need to do to remedy the problem. There is a button labeled "learn more" but when I click that, nothing happens. Here is a screen shot:

User uploaded file

Here is my system overview:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro1,1

Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number of Processors: 2

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Processor): 4 MB

Memory: 11 GB

Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08

SMC Version (system): 1.7f10

Serial Number (system): G8*******UPZ

Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F207740C

Can anyone advise??

Thank you!

Sloane

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Posted on May 6, 2016 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2016 7:06 AM

Your Mac doesn’t have a 64-bit EFI. This isn’t correctable.

(142090)

6 replies

May 6, 2016 8:53 AM in response to qwrkygrrl

The hacks themselves is not especially difficult to apply, but a little complicated. It relies on the already-installed 32-bit firmware, so it cannot be used to build an illegal Hackintosh, so it is not as repugnant as some others. The changes are good for ONE version of Mac OS X, and if you need to update your Mac OS X, you will need to apply the hacks again.

Its underlying problem is that when issues develop, you need to be able to debug enough to find the problem yourself, or decide whether the problem is caused by the hacks. If you are a strictly-creative person, this can force you into activities for which you are not suited, and waste your time when you could be doing great creative work instead.

search for Mac 64 on 32 (spelled out in words) and you will get the key blog that leads you to the downloads and information you need.

Cannot upgrad from OS 10.7.5 to El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.