Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers 3.6.1 not opening some .xls files

Hi,

Are some .xls files different from others?

I use an external booking system where I can download data.

If the file is .xls it will not open - just shows nonsense. Their .csv files are fine.

I understood the 3.6.1 version had addressed this problem.

I can convert the files but it would be easier just to have them open in Numbers

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 6, 2016 6:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2016 7:13 PM

Not all .xls files are created equal:

User uploaded file

It appears that Numbers cannot open 'Excel 5.0/95 Workbook (.xls)' that can still sometimes be the only format offered for download from some websites.

But Numbers should be able to open 'Excel 97-2004 Workbook (.xls)' and of course '.xlsx'.

Not all features in every '.xls' or '.xlsx' file import as expected, but you shouldn't encounter too many problems with sheets containing mainly data and common formulas.

SG

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2016 7:13 PM in response to norfolklady

Not all .xls files are created equal:

User uploaded file

It appears that Numbers cannot open 'Excel 5.0/95 Workbook (.xls)' that can still sometimes be the only format offered for download from some websites.

But Numbers should be able to open 'Excel 97-2004 Workbook (.xls)' and of course '.xlsx'.

Not all features in every '.xls' or '.xlsx' file import as expected, but you shouldn't encounter too many problems with sheets containing mainly data and common formulas.

SG

Numbers 3.6.1 not opening some .xls files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.