Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copying iTunes library to new computer and setting up NAS as iTunes server

HI,

My current setup is a macbook with an external hard drive for iTunes library. I have just bought a new Macbook Pro and am about to transfer my library across to my new computer. I have a very large iTunes library and I would like to be able to access it from my laptop, iPhone and iPad using Plex, Sonos or alike to predominantly play music around my house. I don't want to have to have my Macbook Pro on all the time to play music.

Rather than copying my iTunes library across to my new Macbook Pro, I plan to:

1. Copy my current iTunes library to a NAS drive

2. Set the iTunes destination folder on my new MacBook Pro to the NAS drive

Is this the correct procedure? Are there any problems doing this? Does anyone have any better suggestions?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 6, 2016 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2016 7:37 AM

Drag the entire iTunes folder from the old computer to the NAS. Start iTunes on the new computer while holding down the option/alt key and when prompted select the iTunes Library.itl file in the iTunes folder on the NAS.

The NAS will have to be on and awake before starting iTunes or the computer will forget the location of the library file and you will have to use the option+start method again.

People like the idea of a NAS to do what you want to do but iTunes and NAS do not always play nicely together. Make sure you maintain good backups against the day you post here saying your entire iTunes library is a mess and you try to play one track and something completely different plays. or etc., etc.

I don't know about all these interfaces you mention. If you are serving up the music to an iPhone an iPhone cannot read a NAS directly and you have to have iTunes running to serve the media.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2016 7:37 AM in response to brassjc

Drag the entire iTunes folder from the old computer to the NAS. Start iTunes on the new computer while holding down the option/alt key and when prompted select the iTunes Library.itl file in the iTunes folder on the NAS.

The NAS will have to be on and awake before starting iTunes or the computer will forget the location of the library file and you will have to use the option+start method again.

People like the idea of a NAS to do what you want to do but iTunes and NAS do not always play nicely together. Make sure you maintain good backups against the day you post here saying your entire iTunes library is a mess and you try to play one track and something completely different plays. or etc., etc.

I don't know about all these interfaces you mention. If you are serving up the music to an iPhone an iPhone cannot read a NAS directly and you have to have iTunes running to serve the media.

Copying iTunes library to new computer and setting up NAS as iTunes server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.