Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is SMC considered a software or hardware problem according to warranty?

Hi!

Two months ago I bought Mac book air (11") and now has some problems. I give it to technical assistance and they say to me that they have made a reset to SMC (System Management Controller). Is SMC considered a software or hardware problem? According to warranty, do I have to pay something? Thank you !

MacBook Air, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 6, 2016 8:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2016 11:52 AM

The System Management Controller (SMC) is on your Mac Book Air motherboard. Thus, it is considered a hardware component, and falls under your initial 12 month, new Mac warranty, and 3 years if you have Apple Care protection.

It can be reset with external, simple steps as documented by Apple in this article. Yes, you can do it yourself now.

If anyone dares to charge you for resetting your SMC, then you are looking at a thief that is attempting to charge you for a 1 minute procedure.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2016 11:52 AM in response to elemanci

The System Management Controller (SMC) is on your Mac Book Air motherboard. Thus, it is considered a hardware component, and falls under your initial 12 month, new Mac warranty, and 3 years if you have Apple Care protection.

It can be reset with external, simple steps as documented by Apple in this article. Yes, you can do it yourself now.

If anyone dares to charge you for resetting your SMC, then you are looking at a thief that is attempting to charge you for a 1 minute procedure.

Is SMC considered a software or hardware problem according to warranty?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.