Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monitors flickering and “Input Signal Out of Range"

Hello!

I have a Mac Mini (late 2012) 2.3 GHz Intel core i7 running up-to-date El Capitan, with two HP 2071d monitors.

These monitors have DVI connections. One is connected with Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter, and the other with HDMI to DVI Adapter (that came with the Mac Mini).

All has been well for a year until this week. Both monitors have:

1) intermitantly started flickering garbled images

2) intermittently flickering to black or white noise

3) intermittently flickering to white noise

4) displaying screen message “Input Signal Out of Range. Change Settings to 1600x900 – 60Hz”.

How bad this problem is will come and go, but is rather persisting now.

After researching, I have tried booting into Safe Mode, however the problem persists.

I read that putting the computer to sleep, and then waking up could resolve this… it worked a

couple of times, but issue soon returned.

I have tried resetting VRAM/PRAM and SMC multiple times.

I have doubled checked all the connections.

Under System Preferences > Displays (when image is stable long enough for me to see it) all seems to be OK. Under the Display tab “Default for display” is selected. Under Color tab there are three HP2071d listed (with one selected) in Display Profiles window. I have tied selecting one of other “HP2071d” listed without any noticeable change.

I also reset both monitors to factory settings via the monitors’ on screen menu.

I also came upon this Mac mini EFI Firmware Update 1.7 for flickering on Late 2012 Mac Minis but when I tried to run it I got “this software is not supported on your system”. Ugh. Turns out my Mac Mini is already updated to MM61.0106.B0A (2015-002)

My System Information>Hardware>Graphic/Display info is:

Intel HD Graphics 4000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x0166

Revision ID: 0x0009

Displays:

HP W2071d:

Resolution: 1600 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Display Serial Number: 6CM3171PFF

Mirror: On

Mirror Status: Hardware Mirror

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

HP W2071d:

Resolution: 1600 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Display Serial Number: 6CM3170P31

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: On

Mirror Status: Master Mirror

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

I am out of ideas of what else to check/try.

Cheers for any assistance anyone can provide.

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), Late 2012

Posted on May 6, 2016 6:11 AM

11 replies

May 6, 2016 7:50 AM in response to bdcs64

bdcs64 wrote:

Hello!

I have a Mac Mini (late 2012) 2.3 GHz Intel core i7 running up-to-date El Capitan, with two HP 2071d monitors.

These monitors have DVI connections. One is connected with Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter, and the other with HDMI to DVI Adapter (that came with the Mac Mini).

Pretty much the same setup here, except with 2 Samsung S22B310 DVI monitors on a Late 2012 2.5GHz i5.

All has been well for a year until this week. Both monitors have:

1) intermitantly started flickering garbled images

2) intermittently flickering to black or white noise

3) intermittently flickering to white noise

4) displaying screen message “Input Signal Out of Range. Change Settings to 1600x900 – 60Hz”.

How bad this problem is will come and go, but is rather persisting now.

Both monitors is not good. That would lead one to think that the Intel HD 4000 is overheating and the problem is not with one of the adapters or cables. Although, if one of the adapters was internally failing, it could be putting extra heat stress on the Graphics chip.

Personally I would try a few things.

1. Shut down, disconnect everything, open the bottom cover and give it a good cleaning to ensure that it is cooling properly.

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac_Mini_Late_2012

2. Try each monitor setups individually for a time to see if the problem follows that monitor, adapter cable setup.

(I know it's going to be a drag after getting used to dual monitors)

3. Try using > MacFanControl to monitor and help control the GPU PECI temperature.

http://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

FWIW I do not use Screen Savers, but I do a lot of videos along with some light gaming on both my 2010 and 2012 Mini's and I truly believe that MacFanControl has really helped to prolong the graphics life on both those systems.

I use the Sensor-based control on the GPU PECI sensor and have it set so that it slowly starts ramping up the fan above 129'F

User uploaded file

May 6, 2016 12:42 PM in response to den.thed

Thanks for taking the time to post such an in-depth answer, den.thed.

I clean out the fan, trying just one monitor at a time and installed MacFanControl, which looks like a very cool app. The default temperature for the GPU are different then yours, but I guess I will leave then at that for now as they are lower.

User uploaded file

These are my current temperatures. Do they seem too high to you?

User uploaded file

Thanks again for your time!

May 7, 2016 10:43 AM in response to den.thed

Ok I will set the temperatures as suggested.

Running each monitor separately doesn't seem to make a difference. The monitor is only stable (for maybe 5 minutes) after being asleep for a while.

I ran the apple hardware test and it came back with "no trouble found". So no help there!

I will try to borrow VGA cable to see if that males difference (but not expecting it to).

After trying everything I can think of here I will try Apple support even though it is 10 months out of warranty and see what they say.

May 11, 2016 8:21 AM in response to den.thed

After spending long time on phone with Apple support, in the end they can only suggest to bring it in to have hardware checked. As GPU is part of logic board I assume it will be probably be very $$$.

There are more posts on the late 2012 mac mini and screen flickering and display problems in these forums than I could possibly ever read. So I am disappointed Apple is not doing the responsible and ethical thing by admitting there is genuine fault with this model, and offer a repair program for the late 2012 Mac Mini.

It is also disappointing as this Mac Mini was purchased less than two years ago.

My wife buys all the IT for the organization she works for, and after this, and logic board issues on our previous iMac, she is considering giving up on Apple machines there as well.

I let you know what they say after visit to Apple Store to have it checked.

Monitors flickering and “Input Signal Out of Range"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.