Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Deactivate Alerts

I always make a habit of turning off Amber alerts when configuring a new iPhone. The following settings are used:

User uploaded file

This has been consistently effective at blocking these alerts and is in line with the advice provided here. Yet, last night, I was awakened very early in the morning by Amber alerts as shown here:

User uploaded file

Have I misconfigured something? I'm wondering if the alert was mis-categorized as an "Emergency Alert" instead of an "Amber Alert?" I'd kind of like to keep the Emergency Alerts turned on, but my impression was that those alerts were reserved for weather emergencies, etc...

Could someone explain (a) the difference between alert types and (b) if I've misconfigured something that would let these middle-of-the-night Amber alerts slip through?

Best,

Lester

Posted on May 6, 2016 6:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2016 7:02 AM

It is not a setting or classification setting on your end

It is the agency / agencies that are sending out the alerts that are responsible for its classification

http://www.missingkids.org/AMBER/WEA

In other words - you may need to speak with the local law enforcement authority to investigate the cross placement of the alert if such is the case

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2016 7:02 AM in response to Lester GrimeNose

It is not a setting or classification setting on your end

It is the agency / agencies that are sending out the alerts that are responsible for its classification

http://www.missingkids.org/AMBER/WEA

In other words - you may need to speak with the local law enforcement authority to investigate the cross placement of the alert if such is the case

May 6, 2016 7:08 AM in response to Lester GrimeNose

In order to disable Amber and Government alerts on your iPhone, do the next:

1. Launch the Settings

2. Tap on the Notification Center and scroll to the very bottom

3. Under the Government Alerts section, toggle the Amber Alerts or Government Alerts off to disable them.

But remember disabling Amber Alerts is not recommended unless you have some other way to be reliably alerted about emergencies.

May 6, 2016 7:13 AM in response to D.Cohen

Well, I do want to be alerted about emergencies (weather, etc.), even if it's in the middle of the night, but not the missing kid stuff. I thought the way to do that was to disable AMBER and keep Government Alerts on. But if they're going to start shoving missing kid alerts into the Gov't Alerts feed, I'm thinking it's probably best to keep them both turned off.

Can't Deactivate Alerts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.