Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There is a mysterious box next to my cursor How do I get rid of it?

The box changes into mouse position numbers when i take screenshots with Cmd +Shift+ 4. How do I get rid of this?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 6, 2016 8:41 AM

12 replies

May 26, 2016 5:51 AM in response to Sajin7

User uploaded fileThis is what I see on my desktop the dotted? Box floats next to my cursor it turns in to a text bar occasionally sometimes the cursor disappears entirely for a moment. when I click on buttons to close or open finder windows I have to click twice or three times then there is a momentary delay then the window closes. Any thoughts? And I do appreciate you all for even taking the time to look at this and help me.

May 7, 2016 5:22 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

User uploaded fileThis is what I see on my desktop the dotted? Box floats next to my cursor it turns in to a text bar occasionally sometimes the cursor disappears entirely for a moment. when I click on buttons to close or open finder windows I have to click twice or three times then there is a momentary delay then the window closes. Any thoughts? And I do appreciate you all for even taking the time to look at this and help me. Thanks.

May 7, 2016 8:45 AM in response to Sajin7

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

May 26, 2016 5:56 AM in response to Sajin7

In the strangest bit of weirdness this anomaly is gone. I zapped my pram. That didn't do it. However I noticed that at some point I was hooking my laptop up to external monitors, LCD projectors, and my classroom promethean board. I noticed this box no longer appeared. Could this be a issue related to external monitors possibly? Also I noticed when it did happen was when I using an internet browser. Any browser FF, Chrome, Safari. Its frustrating because I can't nail down one cause of the issue. But its no longer there so I'll be happy with that. I want to thank all of you who responded so quickly with really good suggestions to get this issue fixed. you are all wonderful! Cheers!

Jul 7, 2016 7:43 AM in response to Sajin7

I am also having this issue but mine has not gone away. I also use a lot of external monitors, projectors, Promethean products. Sounds like we are both in a school environment. A little more info on my issue is that it happens at any time in many programs. Yours was just in a browser? when the box comes up I cannot type and it also manifests when i scroll in a document i am creating and it highlights everything yellow as if i am about to copy a portion of text. I then move the cursor and it highlights as i go and i try to press esc to make it go away. It gets so bad at times that i just give up and walk away. I am about ready to reimage my machine.😕

Does anyone know what this could be?

There is a mysterious box next to my cursor How do I get rid of it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.