Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't movies I made with iMovie 10.1.2, when shared to file not play on anything but my computer

Movie made with iMovie 10.1.1 and 10.1.2 and shared to file then loaded to thumb drive can only be viewed on my computer. PS3 shows file as corrupted, WD media player attempts to play but video is degrade and sound spotty, Samsung TV asks me to please wait while it endlessly spins it's wheels to no avail. Movies made with previous versions play as they should. I'm using the same late 09 i5 iMac, same Nikon D5300 camera, and tried several thumb drives formatted FAT32. The only difference is the version of iMovie. Any suggestions?

iMac 27" i5, Mac OS X (10.6.2), G5 iMac, G3 iMac, Mac Classic II, Mac Plus

Posted on May 6, 2016 9:09 AM

8 replies

May 6, 2016 11:13 AM in response to Cuenlain

I don't know which movies formats your TV plays - it is probably stated in the instructions. What format and other settings did you choose when you shared the project? Another consideration is that FAT32 has a file size limit around 2 - 4 GB.

You could also consider connecting your computer to your TV with HDMI and use the TV as a second monitor.

Geoff.

May 6, 2016 12:03 PM in response to GeeD

My TV plays mp4 and has had no problem with the 7 other videos I've made using previous versions of iMovie. I've formatted my movie - Audio & Video at 1080p hd, 60 fps, Quality - high, Compression - faster. The movie size is under 2 GB. I've done everything the same as I have with the previous 7 movies, but this is the first since the upgrade to El Captain and it's iLife suite. My Playstation 3, Western Digital media player and Samsung TV have no problem playing the others, only this one, and they're all on the same usb drive.

I'm stumped. I've remade this thing 3 times thinking I may have done something wrong. I even went into the computers library and deleted iMovie and iPhoto preferences, but it made no difference.

Hooking my computer up to my TV won't help me share with family members who live elsewhere . . .

I'm thinking I should dig back into my Time Machine and reset to Yosemite, though that might be more disruptive than it's worth.

Curtis

May 6, 2016 1:52 PM in response to GeeD

When was 10.1 released? I completed my last movie, previous to this one, on July 31st 2015, but come to think of it I began with a clip set at slow which may have set the whole project at 30 fps. I'll try another "Share to file" with my latest project set at 30 fps and see if that changes things. I'll get back to you with the results.

Curtis

May 6, 2016 2:40 PM in response to GeeD

It doesn't seem to be possible to change my video from 60 to 30 fps within iMovie, at least I can't find a way . . . so I can't say for sure yet if that's the problem, but I think it might be. I'll try using Prism conversion software to make a 30 fps version and see if that will work on my TV, PS3 and WD media player. The real solution might be to replace the crappy Samsung TV and get a PS4.

Curtis

May 6, 2016 4:23 PM in response to GeeD

Thank you, problem solved. Not all TV's, gaming machines and media players are capable of playing 60 fps videos . . . none of mine are. Converting to 30 fps solve my issue, but I'll keep making my videos art 60 fps because it's better ,and I'll eventually replace my technologically dated stuff.

Interestingly, putting a 60 fps project into iDVD creates a DVD with considerably better image quality than one using video made at 30 fps. It's still SD, not HD, but it's not bad.

Why won't movies I made with iMovie 10.1.2, when shared to file not play on anything but my computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.