Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are we still not able to make an @icloud account our primary email for our Apple ID?

Are we still not able to make an @icloud account our primary email for our Apple ID?

iPad Air

Posted on May 6, 2016 8:17 AM

7 replies

May 6, 2016 10:45 AM in response to ManSinha

IT seems my iCloud account is permanently linked to my original email account name I used to set up iCloud. I am not allowed to change my applle id to my iCloud email name. I would also like to know how to change my iCloud account to my mail primary email account. If I am viewing all email accounts in the mail app and create a new email with my old email address pops up as the return address, not my new iCloud address. How do I change that?

May 6, 2016 10:05 AM in response to mmurphy336

An iCloud account created on its own, is in and of itself an Apple ID, and as such cannot serve as the primary E-maiñl address fro another Apple ID.

An iCloud E-Mail address created as part of setting up an Apple ID with an e-mail account from a different provider, is simply an alias for that account, and again cannot be used as the Primary E-Mail address for it.

This however has nothing to do with which e-mail account is used to send e-mails.

While composing an e-mail on an iOS device, if you tap on the CC/BCC line, a "From" line will also appear. Tapping on it, will let you change the account used for sending the E-mail.

Or as mentioned, you can set a different default Mail account in Settings->Mail, Contacts-> Calendars->E-Mail->Default Account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.