Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp Assistant not showing SSD

Hi,

I have a 2009 Mac Pro and I had Windows 7 installed with Bootcamp on my 1tb HDD, worked fine, no problems.

I installed a new SSD (260gb) and have been booting into OSX off that for the last few months, again no problems, nice and fast.

However, I was still booting into Windows on the old HDD, still slow, so I decided I'd partition the new SSD with Bootcamp and install a fresh Windows 7 on that.

So I removed the old Bootcamp partition, and thus Windows, from the HDD (it's now back to an unpartitioned 1tb, going to be used for storage).

Then I went Bootcamp Assistant, chose the 'Install Windows 7 or later version' option, hit continue and was then given the option to choose the partition size... on the old HDD. The SSD doesn't show up at all. I'm running the Bootcamp Assistant in the OSX that has booted on the SSD.

Anyone got any ideas how I can get Bootcamp to partition and install Windows on my SSD, not the old HDD?

Any help would be great!

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on May 6, 2016 9:23 AM

3 replies

May 7, 2016 9:31 AM in response to Loner T

Hey, thanks for the answer LonerT. I tried that, and now it's telling my that "You cannot partition an external disk, a RAID disk or an internal disk on which FileVault encryption is in progress." I'm guessing the problem is that my SSD is a Samsung XP941 256GB that is connected through a PCIe slot, not in one of the harddrive bays. For that reason I guess it's viewing it as an external drive. Annoying.

Any suggestions how to get around that? I've googled around and there seems to be a way by using Winclone, but I'd prefer not to have to pay $40..

Bootcamp Assistant not showing SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.